Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
He's just a troll.

No, he's 6 years old. Probably. Nothing wrong with that.
Potty jokes at that age are extremely funny.

Lucky them. :)

(then again, he may be around 14, which if the case, would be unfortunate. I surmise this would indicate a obsession with female genitalia, which in of itself isn't unusual, myself suffering from this at a much later age :D )

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
As is always the case, never buy first gen products. Those that do, I can foresee a TON of "My screen sucks on my iPad Mini" threads. And people complained about the iPad 3 screen :rolleyes:

I would expect Apple to get this one right from the start since they're charging us premium prices and since the iPad Mini is a smaller version of an existing line. When Apple introduced the 11" version of the MBA, it was alright as far as I know. Of course, some will have substandard displays, just like some iPhone 5 units did. Bad displays will always get through and if you get one, return it.

guineapig

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Italy
An 163ppi screen is available at least since 5 years and the first iPhone.
Why would a well-established company (AUO) have enough trouble making it to let the news slip out to rumors sites?
What if this trouble indicates that the display that's in production is a rather difficult piece of latest tech, not simply mastered even by experts?
What if all the effort was to make a Retina 7.85" display?

snorple

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2010
Will it be?

It would be quite humorous if the iPad mini never happens. We had just as much "credible" and leaked parts for the teardrop iPhone 4s, the apple branded television... I'm not saying it won't happen; its just annoying to read that it WILL happen.

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Agree. Dont buy first generation. Might have lots of issues.

If I applied that very same logic....

The new iPod Nano is the first generation of its form factor. I guess I shouldn't buy it right? In fact seeing as it changes every year, I should avoid them all as they're 'first gen' models.

In all seriousness, you'd think Apple pretty much got it down when it came to tablets. They've had 3 years in the tablet market and more in the touch screen phone market. Not to mention having plenty of time to develop iOS. This 'avoid first gen' commentary shouldn't really apply to the 7" iPad.

If you think the new screen will be a problem, who's to say the second generation of 7" iPad won't have a retina screen that's also problematic? It's never going to stop because each iteration is different, and new.

There will always be 'firsts' engineered into every Apple product.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I wonder what type of production issues they experienced? It always seems with these production reports that one week the rumour is of major production issues so serious it could jeopardize the launch and the next week everything is resolved and things are in fact so good they can boost production by 50% on request.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
That thing looks like a big smartphone....I may have to get me one! I have an original iPad with the unlimited 3G data plan thru AT&T and i make free calls on it thru voip programs. If I can transfer the data plan to this iPad mini....hell...I won't be buying me an iPhone 5 baby. :-D

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
It would be quite humorous if the iPad mini never happens. We had just as much "credible" and leaked parts for the teardrop iPhone 4s, the apple branded television... I'm not saying it won't happen; its just annoying to read that it WILL happen.

It wouldn't be the first time. I think when the rumor mill churns out a certain 'density' for a product it just increases the probability that's all. Still could fizzle.....badly :D

When that happens the first thing that comes to mind is how creative all those mock ups are, and how talented the liars. Bless them :)

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
yes... i can't wait.. this is a perfect upgrade from my 1st iPad.. the mini is perfect size for my son and I. :D yup... i bought the first iPad & havne't updated since.. no reason too.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
You are missing the joke, think feminine products...got it?

I had to use Google to get it. English is not my first language and would have called those sanitary towels, I didn't know the term "maxi pad".

Since I got upvoted more than the original poster, I guess the joke wasn't that clear even for a native English speaker though.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I had to use Google to get it. English is not my first language and would have called those sanitary towels, I didn't know the term "maxi pad".

Since I got upvoted more than the original poster, I guess the joke wasn't that clear even for a native English speaker though.

I think the joke was clear to those of us native English-speakers. My guess is that most people just didn't find it funny. It's been posted on these forums several times already.

AppleFan1984

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2010
Amid reports of component yield issues holding back launch supplies of the "iPad mini" earlier this month, it was reported that AU Optronics, which had been slated to produce two million display panels during the third quarter, was experiencing issues that resulted in the company providing only 400,000 units over that time period. AU Optronics was said to be responsible for 40% of Apple's target of five million panels for the quarter...

Didn't Samsung produce most of the screens for the iPad thus far?

Sadly relevant:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/15/apple-and-samsung-moving-into-hate-hate-relationship/

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
pad trivia...

On the original release of Zappa's 'Let's Make The Water Turn Black', over 40 years ago, the record company executives made him take out the line 'the waitress and her pad', due to the perceived connotations.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
No, he's 6 years old. Probably. Nothing wrong with that.
Potty jokes at that age are extremely funny.

Lucky them. :)

(then again, he may be around 14, which if the case, would be unfortunate. I surmise this would indicate a obsession with female genitalia, which in of itself isn't unusual, myself suffering from this at a much later age :D )

There are some millionaires who earned their dough telling fart and doody jokes.

Jorojr

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
My pre-unibody MacBook Pro had an AUO screen also. I preferred it to Samsung and LG counterparts.

Can't speak for the company's quality on the whole (I just have no clue).

I had an Asus laptop with an AUO screen. I didn't care for it. The color saturation and viewing angles were horrible (even by TN's already low standards). I ended up replacing the panel with one from LG that was much better. I plan on picking up a mini,but man, knowing AOU panels will be in 40% of the units out there makes me nervous.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008

I didn't recall seeing any from them in the iPad 1, and had heard they were a supplier for the 2 and 3. But there isn't anything to suggest they were a majority aside from a rumor that LG and Sharp had little or no production for the start of the 3.

AppleFan1984

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2010
I didn't recall seeing any from them in the iPad 1, and had heard they were a supplier for the 2 and 3. But there isn't anything to suggest they were a majority aside from a rumor that LG and Sharp had little or no production for the start of the 3.
Yes, it would be nice to see the breakdown by supplier. But even without that, given that most teardowns show the iPad chock full o' Samsung parts, esp. displays, and during much of that period LG had quality issues, it's disappointing to see Apple restrict their vendor pool. I suspect sooner or later this bridge-burning will turn out to be expensive.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
An 163ppi screen is available at least since 5 years and the first iPhone.
Why would a well-established company (AUO) have enough trouble making it to let the news slip out to rumors sites?
What if this trouble indicates that the display that's in production is a rather difficult piece of latest tech, not simply mastered even by experts?
What if all the effort was to make a Retina 7.85" display?

It was not AUO that was making iPhone screens 5 years ago, right? What's mundane for Samsung and LG might still be quite challenging for AUO.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Yes, it would be nice to see the breakdown by supplier. But even without that, given that most teardowns show the iPad chock full o' Samsung parts, esp. displays, and during much of that period LG had quality issues, it's disappointing to see Apple restrict their vendor pool. I suspect sooner or later this bridge-burning will turn out to be expensive.

Chock full?
There's display, SoC, NAND, and DRAM.
Those are the only possible Samsung parts in an iPad.

All but the SoC always had other suppliers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.