Audacity AIFFs & iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keferunk, May 8, 2005.

1. keferunk macrumors newbie

I wanted to put a book on tape onto my iPod, so I connected my PowerBook G4 to my cassette deck and was able to import a tape's worth onto my hard drive using Audacity. I then exported as an AIFF. So far so good. The quality seems fine. I can replay it using Quicktime. The problem is this--I thought I could just drag the AIFF file into the iTunes library and then convert to AAC to copy to the iPod. iTunes will not show the file in the library, though. I also tried File->Add to Library, but that does not bring the file into iTunes either. Each time, the green plus sign shows up as if it's working, but it never appears. OS X 10.3.9, iTunes 4.7.1, 1Gig RAM. Is there some conversion step that I am missing here?

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Try using Quicktime to convert it to mpeg-4 and then import it.

3. keferunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Found the answer on Audacity Wiki

I was exporting the file as 32-bit AIFF, but iTunes can only import a 16-bit AIFF. I opened the file again in Audacity and then re-exported with the 16-bit setting and then it went into iTunes, where I then had to convert to AAC. I will try the Quicktime solution for the next tape, as it cuts out a step. Thanks!

4. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

You're welcome. Just a tip, if you upgrade Quicktime 7 to Pro, it includes a recorder function that automatically saves as Mp4 or H.264, cutting the export time down to zero. It works great. Try it if you get the opportunity.