Audi announce new A4

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Sep 8, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

I'm really liking Audi's new inverted Auto Union inspired grill... :D

I think I'd still pony up for the A6, as they look wicked in Black at speed as I discovered this morning on the M1. ;)

So yeah... hopefully Audi will finally release a RS4 Avant version :D

New A4

Thoughts?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I like Audi's. I don't see why so many people would go for a BMW or Mercedes over an Audi. I know you pay for the brand name, but Audi is trying it's hardest to provide something different. Companies like Mercedes always offer the same stereotypical Merc designs. They try to change it up, but its the same old thing but more rounded.

3. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Very nice. My lusting for yet another Audi product begins! I'm supremely jealous of the engine options. I've got a manual '02 A4 and it's in desperate need of a sixth gear. Something about 4000 RPM at 120 - 130 kph that bothers me. I'd also really like to see the TDI options available in the USA.

As for the grill, I'm not sure I had an opinion of it at first. Kind of a "take it or leave it" attitude. But, after seeing it on the last couple of concept cars I've grown to like it. More so after the new A6 design.

4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

GREAT !!!

I really like the new Audi designs. I think the cars are now much better then BMWs and Mercedes and certainly VW. I used to drive BMWs for a long time. But in the meantime I just like the Audi's better.

5. Davito macrumors member

Looks great. I love this big grill. I think these big grills will be copied soon by many german car manufacturers.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Oops, is it just me or does it look like a certain Kia model? I know they're trying to give all their cars a similar look but the back half was all that separated them. Now, they're so similar. Will we see a new VW Passat to match?

7. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

HEY! You take that back! It's the other way around... Kia looks like a certain Audi model. :p

Seriously, the Kia's various models have always reminded me of various European "luxury" models. But if you honestly compare the VW stylings to the Audi's you'll see that VW's are a bit more angular, not quite as rounded. Interiors share lots of parts, but again the Audi is just more refined than it's cousins at VW.

8. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Audi's are great looking cars but how are they when it comes to reliability?

9. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

What I know and what I have heard from friends driving Audi's the reliability is quite good. Maybe not as good as Tojota but still under the best car's. Again - that's my expierence not based on any statistics

10. klaus macrumors 6502a

klaus

Yes, audi's are great cars.

I have a new audi a3 ambition 2.0 tdi since october last year. It's the new model, but 3-doors. I don't have this new grill, the 5-door version of my car has it. Don't know why they decided to change it, doesn't matter that much to me though.

It's just a wicked car, but you pay a certain price for it as well, I paid little over 26.000 € for it, so I'd say in priceclass, it's not far off of BMW and Mercedes,

but then again, if i'd have the money to buy a bmw 645 ci, i'd sure as hell would buy it :)

cheers

11. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

I've had mine 2.5 years now and I've never had any problems. The only issues it's been in the shop for other than scheduled maintenance are; seat back came loose, windshield replaced after original dealer damaged it, crack in vinyl seat repaired, and one recall visit I think for the ignition coil.

I never had any ignition coil problems, the crack in the seat was more a result of the car being outside all the time through two Chicago winters and summers, and the windshield was a total fiasco. So really the only thing I would attribute to unreliability would be the seat back coming loose.

Otherwise it's been a fantastic vehicle and probably the single best purchase decision I've made. Now of course, that could change at any time...

12. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Very, very nice. I've always loved Audis. So simple and elegant - beautiful.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

good god, not the dreaded Fletcher Jones i hope.

14. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

No, Scaumburg Audi. They agreed to make excessive scratching on my windshield a warranty issue, did a piss-poor job of buffing them out, and in the process caused the glass to delaminate along the bottom of the windshield. They wouldn't admit to it and said things like "it's always been like that, you just never noticed" or "it's pretty low, you can see over it".

When the service manager called me a liar in a round-about way I found a new dealership, Laurel in Westmont and they bent over backwards for me.

All you Audi fans in Illinois, stay away from Schaumburg Audi. The salesman was great, but their service department absolutely blows.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i had my VW in for an oil change and headlamp replacement @ Fletcher Jones. they said, "hey there's a recall on your brakelight switch." i approved the work.

when i picked up the car, the brakes were sticking. i'd press the pedal, when i released it, it would come up about 2" short. also, i could feel that the brakes hadn't completely let go.

of course, they said it had nothing to do w/ the switch and that i needed to pay them $600 to replace the master cylinder.

after two months of arguing, not getting anywhere w/ VoA, and not driving on the highway, the brakes finally caught fire (yes, actual flames). i put out the fire and had it towed to FJ, at which point they said
    1. "well, here's the problem. your brakelight switch was grabbing the brake pedal!" (as if i'd never suggested it)
    2. "the fire caused absolutely no damage to your car"

i explained high school chemistry to them and then left. for good. sad thing is, they were better than Jennings VW in Glenview (!!!)

as much as i'd love to get an audi a4 some day, it won't be from FJ.

16. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Kia :eek: :eek: :p

The styling of the new A4 headlights, kind of reminds me of the new BMW 5 Series and the new Subaru Legacy.

17. Mustafa macrumors regular

Why Audi doesn't do better.......

In the UK at least it's usually because of (a) rock solid residuals leading to lower lease rates and (b) badge snobbery. Audis are seen as being well-made, attractive designs with the best interiors around but much worse ride and handling characteristics and over-sensitive grabby brakes. Why VAG can't fix these things is a bit of a mystery -- Ford of Europe did several years ago.

The jury's still out on the new grille -- looks better on dark body colours, IMHO.

18. dotnina macrumors 6502a

So is it the general consensus that everyone here likes the new A4?

I love Audi, but I can't say that I'm loving this new A4. The hood looks chubby, and I don't like the downward slope on the sides of the car.

Then again, I'd probably get the TT before an A4, so what do I care. :p

(Sidenote: I just Googled for Audi TTs and found this site -- very sad, so many gorgeous but now-wrecked TTs!)

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Okay, maybe it was Daewoo but they're gone. :D

I like the interior of Audis much better than the exterior. German cars, in general, look better from there. You buy English and Italian and French cars for the exterior view. :)

20. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Did you know that the TT used to have a reputation as a car that would sling you off the road with lift-off oversteer that could age you in an instant... :eek:

I'd love one of those early models... :D

21. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

I didn't even notice that they changed them! Too blinded by the engine choices I guess...

Right now I'd say I prefer the "old" style to these. But like the grille, that could change. My problem with the new BMW stylings and these head and tail lights is the overuse of shapes/lines that just don't seem necessary. Odd shapes, seams, body additions, etc. that don't serve a real purpose strike me as being visual garbage. That's one of my favorite things about my A4 is the seamless, minimalist look it has. I absolutely can't stand the little shark fins all the new Audis seem to have. Totally ruins the clean look of the roof for me.

Edit:
    I sent this link as a private message to Zim so as to not stray too far off topic here, but I'll post it since service issues are coming up in the discussion quite a bit...

http://1.8t.org/dealers/

Jim Ellis in Atlanta is 134 out of 427. Schaumburg Audi is dead last! Told you they suck.

22. tace macrumors member

Atlanta Audi dealership

One reason many people around ATL don't consider Audis is that the stellar service Jim Ellis Audi/VW has provided consistently for years. I bought a Passat from them and my friends have bought various VWs and Audis, since they were the biggest and only dealership close by.

The service departments are horrible. Jim Ellis Audi/VW couldn't fix as simple things as rear seat recline latch, and they screwed up all sorts of other things on all of our cars. They are by far the most incompetent bunch of people I have ever met. Gossett VW in Alpharetta has been decent so far. Maybe, one day they'll sell Audis so that some of us can consider those.

23. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I tested a LHD TT when they first arrived, it stuck like sh*t to a blanket till you bottled the corner, then threw you in a distinctly non-geometric manner, loads of fun.

I couldn't get any part of it to break away on public roads as long as you keep the power down, a beautiful chassis.

If you've got the nerve you can't go wrong, wimps need not apply. :D

24. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

its nice, but i think i prefer the headlights on the current model. I while back i did a form on audi's website to get the brochures on a few cars so i could oogle at them and make desktop pics etc. But they phoned me up a few weeks later and asked if i wanted a test drive!!! I explained that although i could drive i was a student and wasn't really in the market for a new audi! :p

25. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Looks to me like Audi copied it from Chrysler...

The 300...

Attached Files: