Audi Avant RS6 = Comedy Car

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jul 8, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

So earlier today I went to have a look at a TT Roadster at my local'ish Audi Dealer :D anyway :eek: they happened to have an Audi Avant RS6 on site...

I can honestly say this car is so fast it's comical...

it's so fast that you really have to be VERY, VERY CAREFUL about not driving into things...

it's so fast you have to drive thinking what's X miles down the road, just incase you wallop them from behind...

It's so fast, that if you're not careful, you'll pebble dash the car behind you when you launch at the lights...

This car doesn't have an accelerator it has a 'Comedy Peddle'....

It's soooooooooooooo rude.... :eek: :eek: :D

2. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    Re: Audi Avant RS6 = Comedy Car

lol, "she's rude, i'd sh*g her and matey"

mate, there was a show on tv at the weekend, which i missed unfortunately, (hopefully it'll be repeated) and it was all about the RS6 and another top Audi. was dead looking forward to watching it too. i remember the s2 (right?) from a few years back, stonking estate car that was. i gotta get me down to the showroom and take one for a spin (hopefully not literally :eek: )

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You're probably thinking of the S4, the insanity package for the A4.

The RS6 is not quite as high on my wishlist of insane stealth cars as is the coming RS8, which is even bigger and faster, although having such power in innocuous-looking wagon form is tasty.

"Officer, I couldn't have been going that fast, I'm driving a station wagon!"

4. MacManDan macrumors 6502

What about the BMW M5? That beautiful car is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Even with 4 adults it could probably smoke the pants off this Audi. And it's a sedan! A better form factor than a wagon, IMHO. ;)

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Re: Re: Audi Avant RS6 = Comedy Car

Believe me bud, this car is soooooooooo fast, even the Grim Reaper couldn't keep up... he'd have to catch you up at the next set of lights and do the job before they went green again!!

I've been in some cars in my life, F40 at Silverstone in 1989, countless Impreza Turbo's, AMG's, M Beemers and nothing touched this, NOTHING!!

As it's a auto the thrust just doesn't relent, it's seamless, no wheelspin... just ENORMOUS THRUST!! and it keeps going... you get the power tail off in Evo's and Scoobys but not in this Starship... that's right... you're not a driver in this car, you're a Space Cadet!! :eek: :p :p

And 30 to 70 is even funnier than the 0-60, the speedo moves around the dial like it's a rev counter in 1st!!

And what's even more impressive is that it can do this, filled with all your mates, with a boot full of Cheapo-Calais-Booze.... and likely whilst towing a caravan too!! It's insane!!

Infact it's soooooooooo rude.... that I'm giving serious consideration going back there tomorrow in disguise to see if I can give it some more!!

She loves it!! :eek: :eek: :p

6. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

there is no rs8 and there will as audi said not be one. all what will be produeced is an s8. nothing more. - and nothing less :)

7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

The M5 wouldn't get a look in.... less BHP, 2wd, less torque, and it's a manual... so you'd have to get it dead right to be within a second of this Audi... The Audi can knock out 4.6 to 60 everytime... although it feels alot quicker than 4.6 I can tell you!!

If it's wet... = M5 loses
    If it's less than perfect tarmac = M5 loses
    If it's perfect tarmac like Santa Pod = M5 loses
    If it's filled with people = M5 loses
    If it's snowing = M5 loses
    If it's filling up your boot (trunk) with cheapo calais-booze = M5 loses

The Audi also comes in saloon (sedan) form... ;) it's a mean looking car... Audi have this style thing totally nailed!!

However, the next generation Beemer M5 is a 500BHP V10 so that might re-address the balance... unless it's raining that it!! heh-heh!!

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Styling? I still enjoy the styling of the A2. Now THAT is comedic. They only sell cars that ugly in Europe. :p

9. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

That Audi looks pretty nice. But I think the next generation BMW 5-series is going to look great. There are some pics on BMW's site.

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

iGav, I took one out for a spin after it was featured on Top Gear, it's an utterly ridiculous piece of machinery, "nipples in your shoulder blades" doesn't even come close, took it down the M20 from Sidcup out of the Bexley Audi dealership (good friends :D ) and hit 145 before I'd had a chance to look at the speedo, it's truly monstrous, and as much fun as I've had in a car without being horizontal on the back seat.

You'd lose your liscence in a week, but it wouldn't matter cos you'd be dead in a tree in about two days.

I loved the S4, but this is something else, it outperforms just about everything short of a few custom builds and supercars, gotta love it.

11. job macrumors 68040

job

whats wrong with that? ;) :p :D

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so am i the only porsche fan here?

drove a mid-90s 911 (wasn't even the turbo) and it was pretty durn fast. and DAMN did i fit well in that car. everything perfectly in its place, right where i expected it.

someday....

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nice to know there are some Chris Bangle fans out there.

Not exactly an evolution of the product we all expected, but the Taurus finally did grow on people after a few years -- even if it was mold growth.

I understand Chris is going for an all new identity, nothing I'd lynch him for -- lot's of anti Bangle sites though. :p

14. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Drool

I own a manual tranny 2002 A4 1.8T and I've been drooling over the RS6 sedan since I heard about it. Only thing stopping me from getting one is it only comes in an automatic. Oh and it costs $85,000. Just a tad outta my price range!

As far as pitting it against the M5, look into Car and Driver magazine about two issues ago. They compare the M5, AMG 55, some Jaguar, and the RS6. The AMG55 was the fastest, but the RS6 beat out the current M5 (if I remember correctly). C&D picked the Audi as the best. They also chose the new S4 over the M3 and the Benz at that level (it's name escapes me currently).

Only thing cooler than any of these is the Audi Nuvolari concept car. V10 600bhp, 750nm torque. 0-100km in 4.1 seconds!

15. job macrumors 68040

job

nahhh....you're not the only one.

if it was up to me and i had the 400K+ to blow on a car, i'd get the porsche carrera gt.

style man, it's all about the style. ;)

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

wow i went to their site and looked at the specs. very impressive. although one thing i couldnt find was the body weigh of the vehicle, anybody know?

iJon

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

heh heh. i'd "settle" for the 911 carrera 4s. would run me around $100k, i think.

i've never even seen one of the carrera gt's in person.

18. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Meh, big fast cars don't exite me...
    I'd settle for a Mini or Smart :D
    (Don't pun, it's annoying)

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i love those smart cars. afaik, they're not available in the US.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Nope. Never will be either. Kind of a shame, too.

Oh, and the Porsche Carrera would "only" put you back about 74 large. I sat in a Turbo yesterday. Fantastic, the best 122k you could ever spend.

Porsche is my before-I-die car, as in: "before I die, I'm going to own a _____."

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow they say...

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Just north of 2 tons.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: Drool

Nah, I'd have to go for a car you can actually buy, like this one.

Bugatti's Veyron is going production -- about 50 a year. Quad turbo 8.0 W16 motor (essentially two of VW's W8 motors joined together, which means there are four banks of four cylinders with a turbo for each bank) with AWD putting down -- wait for it --

987 horsepower

which is like having a Viper (or even RS6) at each axle or a Mustang GT at each wheel. It's got the torque up there too, at 922 ft-lbs.

0-60 in 2.9 seconds
    3500 pounds
    7 speed manual transmission
    $1.2 million

Attached Files:

24. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Ok then, here we go..

Job,

absolutely nothing wrong with manuals, transmission of choice... most of the time... ;)

But for everyday step-into-car-instant-blow-everything-out-of-the-water performance, the Tiptronic Audi is something else.

Very few drivers can get the perfect start everytime from a manual, where as this Audi you just stomp on the 'fun peddle' and it takes-off everytime... PERFECTLY!!

Also you don't rev the Audi, you just sit there, it's so incog it's scary... catch EVERYONE off guard!!;) :D :p

Sun Baked,

Chris Bangle is a star, his 'Flame' surfacing of next generation BMW's is very impressive and original, although understandably not to everyone's taste.

I love the new 7, more so in the flesh, stands out a mile from other luxo-barges... same goes for the new 5, sweet looking car, takes the 7's styling and really makes it work!!

The new M5 500BHP V10 is going to fly.... ;) the images I've seen of it testing at the Nurburgring, even shows it with 'comedy' dragster wheels... e.g. smaller front wheels than the rears!! Insane!! The V10 is supposed to be a (de)tuned relative of the BMW F1 engine that powers the Williams (spits on ground) heh-heh!

I still think Audi have the edge overall for aesthetics though. I'm worried the 'Flame' BMW's could date alittle too quickly... guess we'll see in 3-4 years time around the refresh window for the new 5!

RugoseCone,

beat me to it, the Audi Nuvolari is a total stunner, like a TT on steroids and 3x the BHP... nuff-said!

The E55 AMG is a stormer in a straightline, but it's lack of a trick diff worries, the reviews I've read have all said it's even more comical 0-60 but the lack of a decent diff means that likely on everyday roads (twisty damp things here in the UK) then it'd get left behind.. or worse!!

What astounded me about the RS6 is that it doesn't wheelspin, it grips and it takes off, and the thrust doesn't relent.... even over the ton mark... :eek:

Was the Merc that was pitted against the S4 and M3 the C32 AMG by any chance??

Abstract,

So I take it you're not imporing an A2 then?? heh-heh!!

Personally I love it... this is what the New Mini should have been had Issigonis still been alive, rather than the current Retro "Mini' that has him turning in his grave!!

The original Mini was innovative, original and an engineering marvel. The New Mini is none of these... it's Retro... but I can see why people love them... especially in London!! where they are ubiquitous!!

WinterMute,

The S4 Avant is very naughty indeed!! ;)

pseudobrit,

The Veyron is totally off the scale... :p

25. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Here is the Audi Nuvolari that RugoseCone and myself are raving about... 600BHP... yeah baby!!