Audible.com & iPod

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MrBillGates, Feb 20, 2003.

1. MrBillGates macrumors member

I'm thinking about joining audible.com and was wondering how many people out there are using it and what they think of it.

Bill Gates

--------------------------------------------------------
    Now where the hell are those new iPods!!!

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i joined and downloaded the sample, i haven't bought anything tho. it's more expensive than i had expected... but the system couldn't be easier, just click the file and in a few moments it's opened in iTunes, with all the correct info.

i should buy a book for my ride to work... hmm... never listened to a book, not sure if i'll like it...

pnw

3. Maclicious macrumors regular

Maclicious

audible

I don't have an iPod, but the only reason I'd get one of the current models (minus FM reception) is for this service. it seems pretty awesome. The perfect thing for a daily run or long drive.

But, I'll probably wait to buy an iPod, holding out for FM reception. Plus, my wife told me I couldn't buy one, because it'll make the perfect Christmas present... She's right, but man, now that I can't have it, I want it all the more.

(yes, I could just buy it, but she's right, that'll really make me look forward to Christmas).

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: audible

Ummm this is February. Are you sure you can wait another 9-10 months? ;)

5. MrBillGates thread starter macrumors member

Re: audible

Well, one positive is that you'll have the latest and greatest (9.5 very long months from now). I currently don't own an iPod but will buy one the very moment the "mythical" updates are released. A friend of mine has an iPod and not having one is torture. I've heard that audible is pretty sweet.

Bill Gates

6. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I have been a member of audible for a while now, I am currently a premier member, so I pay $20 a month and get to pick 2 titles per month, plus I believe I pay less for other titles that I purchase. I just finished listening to 14 hours of unabriged "Timeline" by Michael Crichton. They have a very extensive list of titles, such as William Shatner reading exceprts from "Foundation" by Issac Asimov.

Then there are the subscriptions they have available. Almost every program on NPR is available, every M-F morning, you can download and listen to the NY Times top stories in the different sections (very nice), Robin Williams interviewing different people (I think he might have stopped, but check out the archives, they are so funny that when I listen to him on the bus to work, I sometimes have to pause playback to kee from busting out laughing. Then they have Susie Bright, the smartest online radio show about sex that you will ever hear. Men and women will equal appreciate her sense of style (if you are interested in sex that is).

I would start out at the basic level which gets you one book and one subscription per month (that is a one month subscription to any subscription item, some are daily, some are one or two per month).

Some other notes about the service, anything you pick as part of your membership "package" is yours forever (or until audible goes bankrupt). This is nice, as it allows you to delete you downloaded files once you have listened to them. If you have a broadband connection, just go for the best quality file, my 15 hours of Timeline was only 230 MB, broken up into two equal length files. That is not bad. The highest quality is about a quarter of the size of an mp3 file. The smaller files are only useful if you are stuck on dialup or are using an audible player with no storage space.

If you join, and you can't think of anyone to put down as someone who refered you, just tell them that peterjhill@stargate.net recommended them to you.