1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Audible interference in ‘My Immortal’

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by bannedagain, Jan 30, 2004.

1. macrumors member

I just bought a copy of 'Fallen' and in track 4 (My Immortal) at 1:29, and at the end of the track a soft, high bith beeping sound can be heard above the music. It sounds like morse code and detracts quite alot from the music.

I've returned the CD twice and downloaded both the Albem and Single veersion off the net and the beeping can be heard in all copies.

Can anyone else hear this high pitched beeping? or am I just going mad. The beeping is soft and can only really be heard at greater volumes on better quality speakers.

2. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Nope, it's there on every version I've heard, it sounds like a play-in from the turntables.

Incidentally, I think it sounds OK.

3. macrumors member

I listned to the film clip on TV today, and that high pitch beebing was quite destinct at the end of the track.

4. macrumors member

selloutvixen

Yeah, I have definitely heard the sounds in the track.

At first I thought it was my cell phone signal interfering with my stereo, and it drove me crazy the first few times I listened because of this. I'd think my phone was ringing, turn down the music, no phone call.

&*^@!&*#%!@&*#$

I wish I knew what it was. :confused:

5. macrumors 604

scem0

Hmmmmmm never noticed the sound, although I've listened to that song a million times.

I don't mind it at all. Doesn't take away from the overall sound of the track at all IMO.

scem0

6. macrumors 6502

could this interfearance go away after importing the song? I did and I can't hear anything. Though my hearings not as good as it used to be.

7. macrumors 604

scem0

It is there on my imported version.

scem0

8. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

its meant to be there. its part of the production of the song, which stinks by the way. at least the radio version was mostly rerecorded with a REAL piano this time. whoever produced their CD needs to find a new dayjob. that track alone draws my ire on many points.

9. macrumors 6502

I can hear the blastard beeping to.

It really detracts form the music. I get it between 1:30-2:00 and close to the end of the track.

I'd really like to know what sony has to say about it.

10. macrumors member

I'm a ham radio operator, and I've done my fair share of sending and receiving CW (Morse code). Sadly, it's been a while since I was really good at it, and my transcription skills have fallen off a great bit.

I will say this, though: this is, in my mind, unmistakably CW. Not only that, it's sent very precisely, and at a speed that indicates a good deal of proficiency -- if I had to guess, I'd say it's at around 20 wpm, which is faster than what the FCC required for its highest level of ham license before they watered down the code requirement.

Unfortunately, due to my deteriorated skills and the background (er... foreground) noise on the track, combined with the fact that an iPod really does not make the best environment for repeated jogging along a track, I've been unable to translate most of it.

There is unmistakably a CQ, though, at around 4:11. The characters immediately after that are a big garbled, but a few seconds later (around 4:14) I distinctly hear a sequence that I'm fairly certain is H D N ... the three after that I *think* are W I E, but I had a bit more difficulty with that.

I need to get an audio editor, slow the song down to about 50% speed, and lower the pitch a bit, to see if that helps clarify things any.

(On edit: "CQ" is a code that ham operators use alot. It's an abbreviation for "seek you", and it's used when you're sending out a call requesting people to respond for a conversation. The pattern is rather rhytmic (dah-di-dah-dit dah-dah-di-dah), and heard alot, so identifying that becomes second nature; it was the first concrete pattern I heard out of the code that lead me to believe there might be more)

11. macrumors 6502

That's truley amazing:eek:

12. macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

You're a ham radio op too! Sweet! My CW skills are not worth a thing. I failed my test twice, and would be a General class if not for the test. The requirement may be dropped....

13. macrumors newbie

Def CW

Hey I'm a Ham Radio Op too and the other night I was listening to My Immortal on my iPod and it hit me. According to the co-founder of the band it's not actually Morse code... it's apparently... "a preset pattern on a keyboard synthesizer that we were using for sound on that song. And if you sustain the note long enough, it trails off into this beeping that sounds a lot like Morse code." That's the official word. But.... I tried to decode it to no avail. I'm going to ask one of the guys at the club who have been doing this for a while (Afterall, I've only been an op for like 6 months...and I'm only 17 so gimme a break;) ) I'll find out though and let you all know.

73 DE KC2OOZ

14. macrumors 68030

maestro55

I would agree with the others that say that it is morse code. However my CW skills are very rusty and I can't make out what could possibly be sent. Even if it is not meant to be, there is certainly something that could be made out.

73 es gud dx de kd5owo

15. macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I know! Let's set up a folding team to decode the message! :D

16. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

My hearing is not the best, but are you all talking about the high pitched 'beeping' that can be heard clearest at the end of the song?

Also, which version, the version that is slow, or the other version where at the end the band plays. Im guessing the first.

17. macrumors 68000

dsharits

Yes, it's the slow version

18. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

maybe this gods way of telling not to listen to Evanescence

19. macrumors 65816

faintember

Just sounds like a portion of the pad that accompanies a large portion of the song. It is not interference. It dosent bother me either.

20. macrumors 6502

im an audio editor.....let see what i can do...=D

21. macrumors regular

haha, I just wish thier drummer would stay true to his roots in metal. Rocky is an excellent guitarist. His work was awesome in Living Sacrifice, Soul Embraced, and the few side project bands he has done. I would love to hear an update on "The Burning" band that Ive heard about he is working on.

22. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Somehow my memory is that that sound effect is some space ship transmission ... like the signal generated by Sputnik or Voyager or something like that. But better or worse, it's supposed to be there.

Heh...I think I changed my iTunes tracklist so that the radio version played as track 4 and the other version played as the last track.

And all technical production issues aside, I adore this CD....particularly Tourniquet.

23. macrumors regular

Field of Innocence

Another example of Evanescence messing with our curiosity is in the song "Field of Innocence". :D

Does anyone know the English translation of the Latin words spoken in the second half of the song ? :confused:

24. macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Iesu, Rex admirabilis
    Et triumphator nobilis,
    Dulcedo ineffabilis,
    Totus desiderabilis.

O Jesus, King most wonderful
    the conqueror renowned
    the sweetness most ineffable
    in whom all joys are found.

25. macrumors 6502

It's part of the song and it is not morse code. It's just their because the band thought it was a unique sound and a lot of people started to think it was morse code.