Audible won't work on my ipod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Vlade, May 3, 2005.

1. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

I downloaded two free audible books and they play fine in iTunes, but when I load them onto my 2G ipod they show up but won't play. I have the newest firmware and have tried deleting and re-downloading the books but the same thing happens. Any ideas?

I emailed their tech support but it has been a week with no response.

2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

have you tried downloading different qualities? i usually download highest quality/largest file and never had problems.

andi

3. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Try installing the most recent update for that generation ipod. It might do the trick.

4. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Yeah I tried another file, oddly enough on the second download I couldn't choose the highest quality format again.

Taeclee99 : You must not have fully read my post :)

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

thats wierd. can you at least convert them into mp3 or aac in itunes and reimport into itunes? as far as i know the audible books come without DRM. so you should be able to convert them into mp3 without burning and reripping (wich is not possible at that file sizes anyway).

andi

6. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

My wife has this problem with her 2G ipod except sometimes it will play the content. All of my audible stuff is from the iTunes music store though, so I don't know how that will relate.

7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Hmm. I may try on my 1g iPod, to test, but..
    I have had the quality problem thing, you need to end your session and go back in (usually restarting or at most log in-out). I use the highest quality on all my downloads, do you? (I think this is 32kb).
    There really shouldn't be any problems!
    Try quality 4.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Is this through ITMS or through the Audible store front?

9. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Actually they are REALLY REALLY protective and it is a pain in the ass to convert on a windows machine, near impossible on a mac (without a cord going from your line out to line in port and a recording software app)

Audible Store (Free 2 books offer)

10. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

audible formats that work on the iPod

iPods can only play audible formats 2, 3 and 4. There is still a fair amount of audible content that is still only available at the lowest quality - format 1. However, you can play all formats in iTunes and you can burn all formats to CD. Remember, though, books bought through audible may only be burned once. I don't know if the DRM rules for the "two free books" offer are different... you may not even be allowed to burn.

I know I ended up burning and re-ripping most of the audiobooks I bought from audible just so I wouldn't have to worry about scratching a CD and having to rebuy the book if i wanted to listen again.