Audience boos as Bush offers best wishes for Clinton's recovery

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 3, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

only seen this one source. can anyone confirm?

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Wow. What a pack of shallow, evil bastards.

It's a good thing Clinton has heath insurance, or at least enough money from his pension , speaking engagements and book sales to cover his medical costs, or he'd be SOL.

Let's wish cancer on Dick Cheney in retaliation.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, when people have their heads that far up their collective asses, is it any wonder that they can only seem to talk (and respond to) ****?

Pathetic and sad...

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's understandable that the crowd might do something like that - not acceptable, but understandable. It is utterly unacceptable and hard to understand that the President would allow a crowd to boo a former President. It shows disrespect to the office.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm skeptical as to the accuracy of the initial wire report.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

me too. it's either that or claim media muzzling.

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I remember a similar situation for Michael Moore at the Oscars, when he was cheered (a standing ovation, no less) but the very limited booing got the press 'cause of mic/reporter placement.

9. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

OMFG!!! You know, it's crap like this that makes conservatives look cold-hearted. I, for one, thought Clinton was a good president that he was pretty moderate. Even if someone thought Clinton was a terrible president (which he was not), this is inexcuseable. Illnesses like these should remind us that some things are more important than politics.

My best wishes go out to President Clinton and his family. I dread the day when we, as a nation, have to say goodbye to this truly great statesman and wonderful leader. Feel better, champ.

:(

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They played the short part of the speech during dinner, I don't remember hearing any boos.

Could very well have been a mic placement issue with the feed the reporter heard.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Or perhaps the reporter was there, heard it, but the report couldn't be verified by the audio feed.

I also recall the "Dean scream" that no one in the audience heard but got hours of airplay later in the week and suddenly wondering why the "liberal media" has different standards for when to play up audience/recording discrepancies.

12. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

hmmmmm.....

13. kilpajr macrumors regular

anyone for Bush?

I am a republican and a supporter of Bush because I support the positions he has taken and I appreciate the strength he has as a leader. However, even if I didn't support his positions, I don't think I could vote for Kerry because I don't know where he stands. Look at the video here:
    http://real.stream2you.com/rnc/RNC082304.mov

Yes, this is over the top and doesn't show any good things about Kerry. However, it does show how he has changed his positions about Iraq. Do you not think he had the same intelligence available to him that Bush did? Also, I am a Christian and at a speech (I think it was in the middle of August, I'm not sure where) Kerry claimed the Scripture was very "important" to him. He said his favorite Bible verse was John 16:3:

"They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me".
    (NIV translation)

Either 1) this was his favorite verse and I'm not sure why that would be, or 2) he really meant John 3:16, which most people know and is commonly quoted by Christians:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
    (NIV translation)

It seems that most people here are fans of Kerry, please let me know that there are others who have the views I have.

14. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

I, too, am a Republican and didn't care for Clinton while he was in office. However, life is not just about politics. I also see Clinton as a human being (what? look past politics? gasp!) and anyone going through this sort of surgery certainly deserves some sort of sympathy (probably not the correct word, but I can't think of it off the top of my head). Perhaps I'm a bit more compassionate that my fellow conservatives, and if that's the case, I am very much saddened. This should let you know that not all conservatives act this way. I certainly hope everything goes smoothly for Clinton and that he may live a long life because of this.

15. kilpajr macrumors regular

I, too am disappointed if people were in fact booing when Bush gave his sympathies to Clinton. I wish Clinton the best on his surgery and recovery. My biggest disappointment with Clinton was when he said, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." He did later admit what he did and I forgive him and hope others do as well.

16. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

The AP retracted the story because the audio had only applause and because local news sources reported there was only applause. It became apparent that there were only a few people heckling and certainly not the "audience of thousands" as the original article claims. In other words it was fabricated at the worst or very inaccuarate and poorly worded at the best.

I hope Clinton is all right and I'm a bitter partisan Republican.

17. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i hope you're a bitter, partisan republican, too

;-)

18. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Any apologies for the immediate "Let's jump on Bush!"? Cold-hearted Republicans, my left hind foot!

Quite a few folks, here and there in the news and on the Net, have commented that replays of the tape showed no booing, so Dubya wasn't an evil bastard for "not hushing them up". And, as noted above, AP did a retraction of its commentary.

Sure, I, too, didn't like most of Clinton's political views. I don't particularly respect him as a person. So? I don't wish ill or harm to him or any others just because I disagree with them, or don't like them.

Sure, Clinton's somewhat worried about bypass surgery. Hell's bells, I was worried about my cancer surgery. You can't help but wonder if you're gonna wake up when the chop-shop gets done playing with your innards. Let's all just hope he makes it through the deal okay...

'Rat

19. ~kilroy~ macrumors newbie

I think that Dean was ambushed by the "liberal press" because the Democratic establishment felt threatened by him.
    I think they felt he could have possibly won the nomination, but felt he couldn't win the election. Therefore they took the first opportunity to destroy him that presented itself.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

This is an urban legend that has been ascribed to Al Gore, GW Bush himself and now John Kerry.

You've been snoped.

I'm not sure what your point was supposed to be about this anyway. You don't support John Kerry because you're Christian and heard he quoted the wrong Bible verse?

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Bad intel. Good thing we didn't start a war over it.

Erm, the AP didn't retract anything; it merely altered subsequent wire feeds.

Losing Clinton would be awful. I think the man still has a lot of good to do in the world.

22. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i note that the story to which i originally linked has not been changed.

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, I believe this Election has brought me to new heights of cynicism, so I apologize for commenting about an unverified happening...

I wish Clinton the best of luck under the knife...perhaps he will find himself a nice nurse or two in recovery...talk his way into some sponge baths or the like...

24. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

from the article to which WM linked:
    wtf is that supposed to mean?

uncertainties in the interpretation of the crowd reaction? or uncertainties in how to report boo-ing?