Audio analog-digital help - Please!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GrizzlyHippo, Feb 11, 2003.

1. GrizzlyHippo macrumors member

Hi, sorry if this has been covered before (I searched but...).

Can anyone here tell me how to transfer Minidiscs and Cassetes into digital to have the files on my Mac and be able to write CDs from them and as a side, get them into iTunes? Do I need a sound card - surely not??

The only way I can think is to make up a lead to run from my Minidisc player or Walkman into the microphone socket on the back of the Mac, then set this to be the sound input source. However, what apps do I need to do the necessary grabbing and converting of the analogue music? Will Toast do this??

Sorry if this is a bit basic, but my brain is fried right now and I could do with someone pointing out the bleedin' obvious to me.

Cheers,

Grizzly.:eek:

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Pro Tools. If you're on OS 9, you can download the free version from digidesign.com....otherwise, if you're on OS X, you gotta pay for it.... just log into classic and do it that way.

3. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

You'll need capture software...

You can record into your Mac line-in using a regular 1/8 plug to go from your MD to your computer, but you'll need software that can capture it. There's plenty to choose from, see:

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/mac/AUDIO_RECORDING/

Once you get the songs into seperate files (either AIFF, WAV or MP3 format), iTunes will recognize them and you can burn a CD from there.

4. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

You're on the right track. No pun intended.

You can do it as you suggest and record into a program such as Sound Studio from FeltTipSoftware (www.felttip.com) for basic editing or ProTools FREE (www.protools.com) to get an AIFF or WAV onto your machine.

Then you can use iTunes to burn to CD / make MP3.

Furthermore, you may want to invest insomething like an iMic or PowerWave (www.griffintechnology.com) which will reduce noise from your computer interfereing with your clean recording from your MD or Cassette.

HTH.

5. GrizzlyHippo thread starter macrumors member

Audio enlightenment

Thanks everyone.

All this advice is brilliant and I think I'll grab me an iMic before doing all of the analogue conversions that I've got to do.

Cheers,
    Grizzly.

6. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Well, while I mainly use SoundStudio myself, if you are going to buy the iMic, go ahead and download the FinalVinyl app from the griffintech website. It is free, and it is made for udio capture with their iMic.

Regards,
    Gus