Audio and/or 3-D modeling software recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dubbelhund, Jan 14, 2003.

1. dubbelhund macrumors member

Does anybody have recommendations on a good music composing software for OS X? (Something like Digital Performer, is that avaiable for OS X?). Also I'm wondering if there is any industrial designers out there using a good 3-D modeling tool in OS X? :confused:

2. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

dont know about sound apps but Cinema 4D is my 3D modeler of choice. It has a great interface which is fully customizable and in my opinion fairly easy to learn.

3. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

4. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Try Logic. It is rock solid, though it has a bit of a learning curve for MIDI. Then again, you don't find the sort of power in other apps that Logic boasts.

Logic will likely be updated at NAMM this week. We may see a new version of DP at the same time.

Dan

5. stylum macrumors member

definitely cinema4D, compared to lightwave and form-z, it´s gives the most bang for the buck AND it´s completely platform independent with many render nodes for free

6. dubbelhund thread starter macrumors member

thanks! I checked out the Audio software and they seem great, except perhaps for being a tad too complicated for a complete beginner like me.
    As far as 3-D, Cinema 4D seems to be more intended for animation & movies than industrial design? I was wondering if there was something more along the lines of Ashlar-vellum's Cobalt software, which is both parametric and nurbs based... Anyhoo, if you have more suggestions, go ahead!

7. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I have used lightwave, and maya, and cinema 4d (not as much as the other 2), and they are all pretty good.

8. neut macrumors 68000

neut

audio

for an easy beginning try-out Reason and Ableton live (free demos). for recording Cubase SL might be more up your alley.

alll run in OSX

9. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Platinum 5 is the only one that works in X, it also retails at $699.. A bit high for the rest of us.

<EDIT:>
    By that I meant it is the only logic that works in osX.

10. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

from http://www.motu.com:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DIGITAL PERFORMER FOR MAC OS X - WORLD PREMIERE AT NAMM 2003

Cambridge, MA - Monday, December 23, 2002 - MOTU, Inc. (www.motu.com) announced today that it will debut a pre-release version of Digital Performer for Mac OS X at NAMM 2003 in Anaheim, CA this coming January.

"MOTU is working hard and in close collaboration with Apple to bring Digital Performer to Mac OS X in early 2003, not by the end of 2002 as previously announced," said Jim Cooper, Director of Marketing for MOTU.

Digital Performer’s MIDI engine fully adopts Mac OS X’s advanced MIDI services, collectively referred to as "CoreMIDI". These features allow Digital Performer to carry forward its many high-performance features for professional music applications. For example, extremely accurate timing is critical for musicians, and Digital Performer takes full advantage of Mac OS X’s high-resolution MIDI time-stamping services. Digital Performer also supports Mac OS X’s MIDI device and patch list management features, which MOTU helped to develop, to ensure that Digital Performer users will experience a smooth transition from FreeMIDI (Digital Performer’s OS-level MIDI services under OS 9) to Mac OS X.

Digital Performer users will enjoy the highest level of MIDI compatibility and interoperability that Mac OS X has to offer.

Also.. the motu 828 and 896 drivers are not out of beta, and can be downloaded off the website as well.

11. dubbelhund thread starter macrumors member

12. dubbelhund thread starter macrumors member

So does anybody knows how the dongle works in Cubase SX ? :rolleyes:

13. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

3D Modeling

Noone here seems to like this program, but I love it. It's called Wings3D and it is one of the best modelers I have ever used. And it's free. It always seems to be getting better and better so make sure you check for updates.

P-Worm