Audio Beginner Needs Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Yudha, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Yudha macrumors member

Basically, I'm in college on a PC laptop. I intend to get an iPod soon, and am interested in the possibility of snagging speakers. But I really have never felt the need to get speakers beyond those that came w/ my old desktop. So, forgive the following questions if they seem too dumb:

-Does 4.1/5.1 require me to have a soundcard? If so, these are not an option as I don't wish to spend $150 for an external USB soundcard in addition to the price of speakers.

-Can I just plug a 2.1 set of speakers into my headphone jack? On either my laptop or iPod?

-In all likelihood, I'll go w/ a 2.1 set. So, anyone have any recommendations? The JBL Creature speakers look pretty nifty and sound pretty decent. How are those?

Thanks for the info to those who reply. Please keep in mind that I'm not a dedicated audiophile (as you can tell from my silly questions above), so I don't need the absolute best performance (I ripped all my CDs to 128Kbps AAC files). The best balance btwn. value and performance is basically what I'm looking for.

2. Prabz macrumors member

Re: Audio Beginner Needs Advice

Hi! You have got to check out Monsoon mm-700. I just bought 'em recently.. And man! do these speakers rock!
    Here's why I absolutely love them:
    1) 3D sound with clear, crisp highs and impressively deep bass. Great for gaming AND music.
    2) Ultra thin flat panel design that gives the speakers their sleek, sexy look. Definitely would give Bose a run for their money :p
    3) Price! $89 at Yahoo (35% off; free shipping!!!) http://store.yahoo.com/excess-tech/mommflpasp.html
    4) volume control "puck" with one touch mute button---very handy when you've just gotta turn it down, instantly.
    5) Compact---so takes little desk space. Great for College!

Google around for reviews on them... you'll see what I mean.

After experiencing MM-700, you'll realize that all the other speaker "creatures"...are well, waaay down, scurrying for safety, caught in the Monsoon downpour.

Peace,
    Prabz

3. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I recently purchased the JBL Creatures. I really like the look of them. As far as the sounds goes, I am happy, but not completely blown away.

4. Yudha thread starter macrumors member

Prabz, so do the Monsoon speakers plug in through the normal headphone plug?

5. Prabz macrumors member

Yep, you can plug them through the headphone/sound out jack.

By the way, with the Monsoon mm-700 u don't even need a 3D sound card to experience the rich surround-sound that they deliver...

..now how does THAT grab ya:D

Prabz

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: Re: Audio Beginner Needs Advice

!?!

How the hell do they do that?

7. Prabz macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Audio Beginner Needs Advice

Lollll! I hope you are not assuming that a sound card is not required at all, dude... ;)
    All they are saying is that you don't have to upgrade to a "3D" sound card to experience the same surround-sound quality. How Monsoon managed to achieve this still baffles and amazes me!! Anyone else have any clues 'bout this technological mystery?:eek:

8. aphexist macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Audio Beginner Needs Advice

Basically, they add reverb to make the original source sound more spacious. There is nothing "surround" about it as it cannot make sounds fire behind you. You will not be able to touch any 5.1 mixes (Dolby Digital and DTS will be downmixed). You cannot experience the same effect from 2 speakers as you can with 5. Monsoon has done nothing special, as almost every decent pair of 2.1 computer speakers has a simulated surround button which is just a reverb toggle.

9. Prabz macrumors member

:eek:..yes, but wouldn't you agree that the Monsoons are beyond being just a "decent" set!?
    Being an audio enthusiast myself, I truly believe that these are the best amongst all other 2.1 systemz out there; blending both form and function in exquisite harmony>>> without compromising on quality. Hell, they sound better than many 4 speaker sets as well ; and that ain't just my:cool: opinion, u know..
    <ahem> ...need I say more, bu-a-ddy?:rolleyes:

Prabz

10. Yudha thread starter macrumors member

Well, it certainly seems like the Monsoon beats out the Creature in both quality and price... it doesn't look like anyone here is in a rush to defend them. Thanks for the info, Prabz... it looks like I know what I'll be getting come Xmas.

11. aphexist macrumors member

Re: Re: Audio Beginner Needs Advice

Yes, you should be more descriptive rather than just saying, "Just get them!" You sound like you are a sales rep for Monsoon (are you?).

The review you cited was written over three years ago, when people were just excited to see a pair of electrostatic computer speakers. ES speakers (especially ones of this small form factor) have a very small sweet spot, so unless he is sitting right in front of them, they are not going to sound great.

Klipsch ProMedia

I would recommend one of the offerings from Klipsch...their ProMedia series sounds excellent. The bass from their 2.1 set is tight and punchy, and will be surpassed only by the subs that come with the 4 and 5 speakers offerings. The sats are loud and provide fluent midrange and sparkling high range. The contruction of the low end set seems to be slightly lower quality than the surround setups, but they are still well-crafted, durable, and attractive. I would check out a set at Best Buy or CompUSA. The price is high, but the sound quality is the best for stereo computer speakers, in my opinion. They will make having a stereo system in your dorm room redundant, as they will probably sound better, push more air, and fill the space better than the mini shelf systems that most college-age people have. However, they will run you about $170, which may be more than you are willing to spend.

If you would like to start at the high-end of consumer computer speakers, this is the set to try out.

12. Yudha thread starter macrumors member

Phew... those are priced a bit high for my wallet, but I appreciate the post. Anything cheaper you can recommend?

13. Prabz macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Audio Beginner Needs Advice

Goood! Finally we have alternative product recommodations from aphexist... Isn't that so much better than steering this thread into a two-way debate on the MM-700 now?:p

However, as mentioned, Yudha is not a "dedicated audiophile". All that the member wants is the best value for money. And being a college student myself (and not a rep. for Monsoon, lol!), I see that as being a limited budget.
    I, for one, did my part by recommending the Monsoons which gave me the most bang for my bucks ---and therefore, I like to *enthusiastically* pass it on! I admit I'm biased towards my mm-700, and why not? They're the best that I've ever heard for under $100 (from what I paid :D).
    But are they the *absolute best* out there in the market? Probably not, if you were to include ALL of 'em, with no objection to price---no matter how unreasonable or overpriced. Sure, you may find a $170 set that is the best balance between value and performance in that price range; but then again, that's THAT price range. As a consumer, we all have to decide where our priorities lie.
    Furthermore, let's be practical folkz, more expensive does not mean better:rolleyes: ! Often I have found much better performing items for lesser price. I'm an audio enthusiast not a hardcore audiophile, and like Yudha, I know where my priorities lie..

Cheers!
    Prabz