Audio CD's

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by big, Aug 21, 2002.

1. big macrumors 65816

big

I'm not sure what I did...So I tried it several times with the same results. I plugged several cd's into the tray (for import w/itunes) when I noticed I could just copy the songs right out of the finder when the disk icon was opened.

Of course the songs were all 45 or 80 mbs, I still would want to compress the audio for the iPod....

a. what did I do?
    b. have anyone ever seen this before?

2. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Re: Audio CD's

a. when copying the songs directly from the cd, you are creating uncompressed aiff files which can be very large. i would recommend using iTunes and "rip" the songs to an MP3 format, which is a compressed file format, and thereforemuch smaller.

b. yes.. i have seen this before..

good luck!

-f

3. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

baaaah- did you read the post...that's what I said, that I would still compress the files. why does it happen though? and what did I do to make that happen?

Frankly, there are times when I want 100% uncompressed digital, so this is a good thing. I just hope it doesn't go away with the 10.2 upgrade

4. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Confused..

Welllll.... You have always had the ability to copy an audio file right off of the CD into a folder in the finder, or the desktop. It's just transferring a file like any other CD. Are you asking how you copied the file, or what? I am a little confused. This will NOT go away with 10.2.

Gus

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

6. dnte42 macrumors regular

Assuming I understand this correctly (hard at 1:30 in the morning) the music files always show up in the disc in the finder. Just like data files on a normal cd. Yeah.

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

maybe it helps to be VERY clear about this....

i will answer your questions...

a. you did nothing wrong
    b. almost everyone has seen this before

it's nothing out of the ordinary...anyone with a mac can do this

8. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

no no, I have never been able to do this before, usually anytime I open the cd from the desktop, I get icons that are like 4k in size, and I never see the whole song...

I have never been able to do this on ANY Mac I have ever used....Its like the copy protection on the cd was turned off or something (which is not possible I know, becasue it's read only)

>dnte42
    you seem like you know what I'm talking about, this isn't emensly important, just an odd glitch I've never seen before

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Okay, i just did this with like 5 CDs, and they all worked, so I really do not know what you mean by "it never worked on any mac before". They show up as .cdda files, and I can drag them to my desktop, and open them in iTunes.

?? :confused: :confused: ??

irmongoose

10. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

maybe its an OSX thing, in OS9, I can put in a CD, open the cd from the desktop (by double clicking it) the correct number of songs show up (named audio file 1, audio file 2 or something like that), but they are all like 4kb, and copying them to my disk, does nothing more than give me a 4kb file

that's what I'm saying, now in OSX I can open a cd from the desktop and actually see all the cddb files (in ther entirety 40-80mbs each) why does this not make sense? I don't remember being able to do it in OSX before now, so I was just wondering how I did this.

11. dnte42 macrumors regular

Ya know...the 4 kb thing does sound a bit familiar to me. I couldn't tell you the how's or why's about it, but I think that whenever it was I saw it it was in the days before iTunes and (possibly) system 9. My guess might just be iTunes and newer software.

12. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

OK, its iTunes 3...my wife's iBook (with iTunes 2 on it) does not show the song in their entirety, just the 4kb file

13. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

hmmm i just did a little experiment...

i booted into os 9 and noticed that when you try and drag one of the tracks onto the hard drive you end up with a zero k file...i guess maybe i've just been in os X too long :D

14. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

thanks for checking that....can anyone else with iTunes 2 in OSX verify this?