Audio chat??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CorvusCamenarum, Jan 10, 2005.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Does anyone out there know of an app that will do voice chat without needing video too like iChat? Or will that be addressed in a later version? I don't really relish the though of having to go out and buy a webcam just to hear voice.

Failing that, do other webcams work with iChat, or do I have to pony up the cash for an iSight?

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You dont need an iSight for voice chats with iChat, just a microphone. PowerMac's aside, chances are you've already got an internal microphone, that's all you need. What Mac are you using?

All firewire webcams work with iChat. There are hacks available too if you really want to use a USB webcam.

Failing all that, Skype is another good app for voice chats.

3. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

iMac G5, 1.6GhZ. I'm pretty sure there's a mic on it somewhere, I just can't see it.

Whenever I try to start up a voice chat, (right-click on the person's name), even if they are online, the "Invite to Audio Chat" selection is ghosted out, and I can't seem to figure out how to make it accessible.

The other person in question is on a PC. I don't know if I already mentioned that, or if it helps any, but there you are.

4. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

The iMac G5 does have a built in microphone. It sounds like the problem is on the other end. I haven't done much with iChat, but it is supposed to have compatibility with AOL IM. I would find out what version they are using (according to this they must have at least version 5.5) and then find out what hardware they have. If they don't have a microphone, or if AOL IM doesn't recognize their microphone, then you won't be able to start an audio chat because it would be "one way."

Good luck.

5. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Ok the other person (it's a she btw hehe) has vevrsion 5.9.3xxx. When she tries to start a voice chat with me, she gets the messasge "<user> is not accepting Talk invitations or does not support the Talk feature." I d/led the latest version from Apple today just to make sure I had it and all, and the audio options are still ghosted.

Someone please help.

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm guessing this is an aol windows issue. I use the voice chat feature on iChat all the time and it works great.

The easiest thing is to prob download Skype, it's cross platfrom and is easy to set up. Just make sure she downloads it too.

7. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

As I said in my original post, the situation you describe should work, but I don't know if all the bugs have been worked out.

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, just like all computer problems, you need to identify exactly where the problem is. So, find out if you can have audio chats with other people on iChat, then you know your audio setup is okay. Then, can you audio chat with any other person who is using AOL IM on windows? Then, can she chat with anyone on AOL IM? How about anyone on iChat. I agree that the problem probably lays somewhere in the cross-platform, cross-software nature of your plan.

As was also suggested, you could also try Skype.

8. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

My friend, you are indeed a godsend. We downloaded Skype, and well...<gushing> she sounds like an angel </gushing>. I did notice, however, that it takes the connection a while to lose the delay, but it's usually not noticable.

On another note, where is the mic on the iMacs located? I was looking and looking and couldn't find it. Then again, I also noticed that for 3 hours last night I had a tendency to talk into the speakers...

9. csolis macrumors newbie

You can not audio chat with AIM. Ichat and AIM can only do text of video conference no voice.