Audio cutting out...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Erathun, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Erathun macrumors newbie

I have been having audio problems on my G4 powerbook... like when i play music in itunes it will basicly seem like im listenign to a skipping cd. Its making me want to cut myself

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is the problem only with the inbuilt speakers? Is it the same for all sounds, or just iTunes sounds? :)

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Please don't cut yourself! :eek:

What else is running on the system when you are listening to this music? Are you running the latest version of iTunes?

Issues like this most likely are caused by an other issue on the system, such as bad disk permissions, full disk, bad memory, or even low memory. Has this powerbook had this problem for a long time, or just recently?

[​IMG]

4. Erathun thread starter macrumors newbie

it just started today, i think its probably low hard drive. I am pretty full. Ill tell you if getting rid of some stuff helps thanks.

5. Erathun thread starter macrumors newbie

erg, i freed up some of my hard drive but still there are problems

6. dephlt macrumors newbie

if you have one of the current or previous revisions of the pb, then make sure you dont move it around toooo much,

the Apple Motion Sensors might be pulling the needle from your HD (or whatever the motion dectect and bump protection does) and stopping it from working & reading the daataa properly ...

secondly, play with the balance on the system pref. --> sound thing, sometimes on mine it changes for no aparent reason

otherwise if theose things dont work, hope it gets fixed..

7. Erathun thread starter macrumors newbie

I geuss i did bring it to class today it could have gotten shaken up. any way to fix that motion sensor stuff?

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am not sure that the motion sensor is "THAT" sensative, I have played with a new powerbook a the store while listening to music (today actually) and it didn't stop once when being shaken, even somewhat hard.

What exact powerbook do you have? Is it brand new? How long have you owned it, and does it have any other new problems you can think of?

Also what is your answer to the question posted by mad jew ?

[​IMG]

9. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I had this same problem on my PM G5. It started after I used GarageBand one day and the only thing that I could do to make it stop is to turn off the setting to put my computer to sleep after x minutes. I have no clue why, but that made the audio problems stop. Putting the computer to sleep manually didn't affect the audio.

10. rpet macrumors newbie

Wow - I was googling for this topic, since the internal speaker started cutting in and out on my g4 12" (with Tiger).
    Setting the Energy Saver sleep setting to Never did the trick!

thx
    -r