Audio Editing Mac Programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TyleRomeo, Nov 16, 2006.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

I'm looking a prosumer audio editing application that works with macs. I'm looking to edit out some of the umms and ahhs out of an hour long interview that i have. I can't afford Pro Tools but I don't want to use quicktime pro. I'm looking for a basic program that I can cut out audio from the waveform. So far I have found Bias Peak but I'm not sure if this is the program that would be good for me. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Garageband 3 (part of iLife '06, $79)
    Logic Express ($249)

:) Garageband is highly underrated. It's good.

3. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Fission is a good suggestion. The more I've been using Soundtrack Pro the more impressed I am. It's absolutely excellent and has a really cool interface to. However, it is only included as part of the (very expensive) Final Cut Studio, so that's probably not practical for you right now. Besides it may be overkill for you (same deal with BIAS Peak).

5. dwishbone macrumors regular

for what it sounds like you are trying to do...
    another vote for audacity.

6. Baculo macrumors newbie

I've used Bias Peak LE and really like it for editing all kinds of audio. This includes extracted audio from QT movies and iMovie. If combined with Bias Soundsoap, this makes a very good combination of applications for sound editing. I especially like it for cleaning up digitized recordings from LP's (vinyl records!). I am a casual user, and have not used all the different components of Peak LE to date.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've been using Amadeus II for a while. It's not a high-end app, but has a lot of nice features. There is a new UB version public beta for Amadeus Pro. I think it's 30day trial (aside from being beta). I haven't used the Pro much, yet (just dl'd it today), but it looks like it will be nice when released.

http://www.hairersoft.com/Welcome.html

8. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

I don't recommend Fission because the author, Mike Ash at Rogue Amoeba, is a complete tool. Cocky, arrogant, unhelpful.

Rogue Amoeba have great employees with the exception of Mike Ash. I was going to buy fission until I had a run in with the author asking for some help with some programming in Cocoa. He was extremely unhelpful and if he treats people asking for help like that, I can only imagine what he's like all the time.

Take your money elsewhere.

9. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    no brainer

Audacity. Pro Tools would be beyond overkill for what you want to do....imo

Audacity is free, and works just fine for Wav editing.

10. SRSound macrumors 6502

second. I use pro tools 99% of the time, but when i need something quick and easy, I use audacity.

11. Spikey115 macrumors member

Spikey115

Editing iTunes purchased songs in Fission 1.1.1

I'm trying to edit some songs that i've purchased from iTunes (they're live recordings and I want to remove the dialouge, applause, etc.). I've tried fission and Audacity but they won't let me open those files. Fission displays a message saying the file has no extractable audio. Does it have something to do with DRM? Any help would be much appreciated.

12. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Yes, it is due to DRM. You need to burn the songs into a music CD, then import the songs back as AIFF or WAV. Then you can edit them with Audacity.