audio editing w/ mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fastlane1588, Jul 1, 2006.

1. fastlane1588 macrumors member

ok so im a pc user who is just about to make the switch to apple as soon as the merom chips end up in the mbp. my family uses mac's so i kno what they should be able to do if used right! im really into picture video and audio editing. i was wondering what would be a good program to use to edit audio. i want to be able to take a song from a cd and "remix" it. i kno that the mbp would be a good laptop for me in college so i could still do all my "school" stuff and be able to do things like editing audio on it. what kind of software would you recomend? garage band w/ the remix pack? or soundtrack?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Welcome to MR
    #1: Go and have a look through the Digital Audio subforum. Much discussion already there

#2: Garageband is a good program, and there are many others, from Audacity to Peak to Reason to Live to Logic to CuBase to Digital Performer to ProTools. But you will have to define what you want to do more closely.

What do you mean by Remix?

There are programs that can slice your original audio file into small segments that you can re-order, loop and manipulate in time. Abelton Live and Recycle specialize in this.

However, if by remix you mean you want to isolate just the vocal lines, or just the bass, or just the drums and remix the track with different components -- you can't do that to a commercial CD track with any software on any machine. The stereo mix that you have in a song cannot be separated into different instruments, a capellas or grooves easily at all. There are some tricks you can use to halfways maybe sorta cancel out the lead vocals, sometimes. But to do a real remix you have to have access to the multitrack masters, or you have to spend massive amounts of time and talent to take very small captures of the track and recreate it.

3. fastlane1588 thread starter macrumors member

well thank you for the help thats what i wanted to do, and i kno they use the mac's to do em professionally at the studios but what ur sayin makes sence commin off a cd wouldnt work