Audio Generator Hawkwind Sounds

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Dellstar, Mar 6, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

For anyone who knows Hawkwind I have been try to emulate the background (white noise rushing wind) sound that characterised their sound in the 70's tracks like silver machine, master of the universe... There is a lot of dedbate about what instrument was used but EMS VC s3 seems favourite. I had some good results with Korg IMS app for the iPad and wanted to try my hand with Garageband. I bought the AMG Synthesizer Pack but was a bit disappointed. Before I get a keyboard for the Mac can anyone suggest a good model that has something similar or a decent software package.

Flying is trying is dying.........

2. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Hawkwind did use the EMS VCS 3 and Synthi (VCS 3 in a suitcase) for creating their trippy sound effects.

They cost a fortune nowadays (£5,000+) but there are plug-ins available which emulate the VCS 3. I haven't tried them myself as I use the iMS and Animoog apps on the iPad. My mate uses a knackered old Roland SH-101 to get similar results but even those are starting to gain in value.

You can see them using the Synthi in this video. WARNING: Not safe for work! Contains nudity.

WARNING: Not safe for work! Contains nudity.

3. macrumors newbie

Hawkwind sounds

I've just had a little success in recreating the classic Hawkwind wind machine sounds in GarageBand. Just go to sound effects in the loops panel, choose 'Big Waterfall' or 'Ocean Surf' (or both) and add a bit of slow phase to them. Now add some looped drums, input your favourite 4 chords on acoustic guitar and off you go.