Audio Hijack, Wiretap, or...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sgmorr, Dec 15, 2005.

1. sgmorr macrumors member

I want a program with which to record radio from the internet. I'd like to be able to set it to record unattended and I would like to be able to get it in the most compact possible format (would that be MP3?). I am looking at Audio Hijack Pro and Wiretap Pro. Any thoughts? Any other suggestions? Is one of these more friendly and less conflict prone than the other? Thanks.

sgmorr

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I still have to buy the full version of Audio Hijack. The free version is great and it was really easy for me to pick up. You're limited to 10 minutes of good recording time, AIFF, and I don't think you can schedule recordings on the free version.

I just needed to rip the audio from some flash movies and it worked perfectly.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://www.bitcartel.com/irecordmusic/

This one has a relatively limited feature set, in that all it does is record streaming audio that can play in a web-browser. But it works well, and it is very Mac-like in its thinking. Also it supports a variety of formats. AAC, particularly, and possibly WMA, will probably give you better quality in smaller files than MP3. iRecordMusic can also do OggVorbis and so on...

4. sgmorr thread starter macrumors member

I did almost the same thing myself with the free version, Eidorian! I'm needing to step up now and am definitely considering the full version of AH. One neat thing I noticed on the specs is that you can begin a recording in midstream instead of having to capture the apps audio before you begin recording.

I am just wondering about Wiretap Pro. It's seven or eight bucks less than AH Pro. I guess I could try the trial version.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Audacity (link) is my personal favorite. It allows multi-track editing, its cross-platform, its very small, and its free. It also includes a lot of plug-ins with it.

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I vote for Audio Hijack Pro. It certainly worths its money. It has tons of plugins and features, and is very easy to use.

7. sgmorr thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone compare Audio Hijack Pro with Wiretap Pro?

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had some audio issues with Audacity. I had to reset my settings using MIDI Audio Setup. I'd lose system sounds.

9. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Audio Hijack Pro and WireTap Pro are both very good products. I've used both of them and i prefer Audio Hijack Pro. The main thing I like about it is I can captutre audio from specific programs rather then the entire computer. This is great if you are recording, say, something from Safari and a friend sends you a message through iChat. The sound from iChat is not recorded. Audio Hihack Pro also has the ability to record several sources at the same time. As far as I know, WireTap Pro doesn't have these features. I do wish I could save the Recorded audio in a Wave format rather then MP3, AAC, or AIFF.

10. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

I used Audacity for a long time because it was free, but I never could figure out how to capture audio, so I just used Audio Hijack Free version. It worked great and never messed up, And considering I never needed anything to be recorded over 10 mins it worked fine for my needs.

11. sgmorr thread starter macrumors member

TDM21,

Audio Hijack Pro is sounding good (ha, ha). I have one question. I want to record a special Christmas program on my local public radio station this weekend. They have their website set so that their audio stream cuts off after one hour and you have to click the "listen" button again to start it back up. Do you have any idea how I could record several straight hours of the broadcast while away from my computer?

And yes, Apple, I too have used the free version of AH to record short snippets of captured audio!

12. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

You can use Quicktime Pro to do that...

13. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

between the two, i would definitely choose Audio Hijack Pro over Wiretap. for one thing, i just like Rogue Amoeba's vibe. they make solid software and have a close relationship with their users. the main thing i like about Audio Hijack is its complete AppleScript support. this is key for automating recording sessions, scheduling sessions while you are away etc. it can live in a custom workflow much more so than Wiretap.

14. sgmorr thread starter macrumors member