Audio hookup question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oldschool, Dec 21, 2003.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i have two speakers in my room, with an audio cable running to a hole in the wall. There are four wires in this cable and I connected these to an amplifier in hopes of running my ipod through my built in speakers.

I have a problem however. When i plug in the ipod, to the CD or Video 3 or any input by using a minijack stereo to RCA adapter, I cannot connect both RCA outputs to the receiver.

Connecting just one output allows just one speaker to work perfectly, but when i connect the other, the volume goes way down and there is lots of distortion.

Any suggestions?

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I got your PM oldschool, I'm not sure what your problem is, can you use either channel separately or just one specific one? The fact that your radio works tends to indicate a problem in the reciever (do you mean a combination amp/radio?) input, although it may be a phase problem in the wires.

Check the polarity on the cables on the reciever, make sure the + and - wires are connected to the correct terminals, try swapping them over.

Beyond that I'd try to borrow another amp to ensure your own isn't faulty.

3. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

thanks for your reply and all your suggestions.

I tried a different receiver and same problem.

then i thought: "maybe its my adaptor from minijack to rca"

i changed that and now my problem's gone.

thanks

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

You just solved you first signal path problem:D

It's usually cables or connectors, then you go check hardware, then you check your own stupidity factor and plug the damn thing into the right socket:p :p :D

Glad it working.

5. sahnert macrumors 6502

I've had luck switching from stereo to mono adapter. Is that by chance what you did?

6. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

i switched to a new adapter. both the old one and new were stereo

The one i was using came with my LCIII so its not surprising that it didn't work.

On a side note, can anybody tell me if they got a minijack to rca adapter with their LC?