audio iChat using dial-up to high-speed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hikeNM, Nov 6, 2005.

1. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Howdy all,

Here's my situation. I live in the boonies. So, I'm still using dial-up for internet. Is it possible to have an audio chat using iChat if the other user isn't using dial-up? Every time I try, I get a connection failed message telling me to go to the Connection Doctor.

Are there any settings I can change to make it connect, or am I SOL if I want to talk to my high-speed buddies?

Thanks,
    Ron

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I've had an audio chat with a friend who was on dial-up and I'm on DSL. It was using iChat in Panther on both machines, my PowerBook and his iBook. Worked just fine. I know that doesn't help much, but I'm just letting you know that it is possible.

3. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, it might help. That tells me that it's something I'm doing then.

I am using an AirPort here at home. Does anybody think that would affect this?

Are there any preferences that might need to be changed?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

From what I understood, it wasn't possible with dial-up (however, mduser63 proved this wrong). How fast is your dial-up connection?

5. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

It fairly fast for dial-up.

It works great from dial-up to dial-up. But no other connection combination.

Interesting.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Sorry, don't think I can help. It is probably some preference somewhere. I would say to call Apple but they would probably blame it on the slow connection, but it may be worth a try.

7. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Appreciate the help. Maybe somebody will know.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Oops! Sorry, I failed to see the word "audio" I just saw iChat and assumed Video. You should be able to do audio, I did it many times before I got High Speed. (Only I used AIM, not iChat, don't know if that makes a difference.)
    If you have Apple Care still, give them a call , that's why they are there.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

9. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't have AppleCare, so that's out.

The plot thickens.

Within iChat preferences, I can click on video and limit the bandwidth. Would that help anything? It's set on 100 Kbps at the moment.

10. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

That shouldn't be an issue, the bandwidth required for audio is much less than required for video, so these settings should be irrelevant. When I was just using audio chats I wasn't even aware there was such a setting! Basically, an audio chat at 100% quality will not be a problem on dial-up. Used to use it all the time...

11. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would a firewall affect this?

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'd say it could, do either of you have one? Try disabling any if you do, see if it works then.

13. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Hmmm... I don't remember having to open any ports on the built-in firewall, but, to be honest, I might not have been running it back then... it's been a while since I've been on a dialup connection. I'm pretty sure, though, that no ports had to be opened.

On the other hand, I do remember seeing some apple documentation about the relevant ports to open—you could give that a try.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208

14. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Not much to add, but I just wanted to mention that I was using a wireless connection the internet when I used iChat for audio. Not using an Airport Express, as we've got an Actiontec combination DSL modem/wireless router. My friend was on a standard dial up connection on his iBook. I don't remember having to do anything special with the firewall or anything to get it to work.