Audio in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DrRock, Jul 1, 2006.

1. DrRock macrumors regular

I have a bunch of tunes in mp3 format that i want to incorporate into a video project in FCP. I know that importing them as mp3s will result in poor quaity audio. To remedy this, I burn a CD of the tunes then re-import them as AIFFs into FCP. Is there a faster way, and one that doesn't waste CDs? Can I convert file formats in iTunes, or is there any other software that does it?

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why rip CDs? :confused:

Just convert MP3s to AIFF in iTunes... :rolleyes:

3. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

you could convert to .wav
    there are free programs out there that will do that
    do a search at macupdate.com, you'll probably find something there
    "mp3 to wav" is what i use now
    your audio will be converted to .aiff if you export with compressor
    i've gone that way to make a dvd and did not notice any problems
    with the audio quailty

4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Converting the MP3 to AIFF or WAV before importing to Final Cut will not solve your quality problem. Your only fix for that will be to re-rip the song(s) from the original discs.

Burning the MP3s to an audio CD and re-ripping them as AIFF or WAV will most likely create a file with lower quality than a straight MP3->WAV conversion (due to errors in burning, ripping, etc.)

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You can convert to AIFF or WAV using iTunes. No need for another app. But like Chris said, converting from MP3 to AIFF won't improve the audio quality. The OP needs to go back to the original CDs.

Lethal

6. DrRock thread starter macrumors regular

^

I guess my question in the first place wasn't phrased correctly. How to I convert from mp3 to AIFF in iTunes? I can't seem to find the function.

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

set itunes encoder to AIFF and then rip

8. DrRock thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, cool. So, I assume I should just change the settings for when I am inporting songs for FCP, and then back to mp3 for ipod usage, huh?

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

In iTunes' Advanced->Import preferences choose AIFF. Then in iTunes main window select song you want to convert and got to Advanced menu->Convert Selection to AIFF.

:)

10. DrRock thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

This is WAY belated, but thanks for the info! I converted it to IAFF, and it now plays without error in FCP. As for the improved quality, I guess I phrased it wrong. It wasn't that I was trying improve the quality, but as anyone wo's worked with mp3s in FCP knows, you get little dropouts here and there. That's what I meant by that, I just wanted to avoid those. Thanks again!

11. NickFalk macrumors 6502

NickFalk

Surely you can just pull the track straight from the CD to your HD in finder. No need to go through iTunes at all.

12. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

You can use Quicktime Player. That's probably the easiest if you only have a few you want converted to .aiff. Just open the .mp3 in QT, export as AIFF with 48KHz rate, and you're all set. :)

13. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Yea, quicktime is the way to go. Much faster.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You need at least one conversion step because the audio on CD is 44.1khz and the audio of digital video is 48khz.

Lethal

15. 3dit3r macrumors member

Actually, if you have multiple songs that you need to convert from a CD or a folder, you can select all the files you wish to convert in iTunes, and convert all into AIFF. Somewhat of a 'batch' encode. Much faster than QT.

16. DrRock thread starter macrumors regular

^

I didn't know I could use Quicktime. That will help me in the future. This song in particular was never on CD, it was a downloaded mp3, that's were I was stuck. I got it now though. Thanks!

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

In QT there's an option called "Export Audio to AIFF"

It is for extracting audio from videoclips, but I belive it can be used to convert MP3s to AIFFs too :)