Audio in on my mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fartheststar, Jan 28, 2006.

1. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Hi,

Does my mac have an audio in port?

My mac was the last 1.25 DP MDD mac.

I think it does. Here's why I want to know - I want to be able to hook up my electronic drumset to the mac to use in Garageband as a "real instrument" and Apple said you can do it if you have an audio in port. There are 3 audio plugs on the back, and I'm pretty sure one's line in.

I am going to buy a Midi to USB device to record the drums as a "midi" kit. I'm collaborating with a friend who's far away. The audio in would only be used so that the person who's getting the midi-file can hear the "feel" of the kit I was using. They'll assign the various kit sounds at their studio.

2nd question: If I do have a line in - can I "play back" a software instrument while recording a real instrument?

I would "record the midi drums" as follows:
    Drums ---> Midi ---> USB ---> Garageband to record

Then would produce the "audio/real instrument version by":

Garage band ---> USB ---> MIDI ---> Drum kit ---> Audio out ---> line in ---> garage band as a real instrument.

Does that make sense and will it work? I'm really new to this aspect of my computer.

2. CharlesRobinson macrumors newbie

CharlesRobinson

Strictly speaking, that does make sense, but if you've got a drum machine already, why not just take the output from the machine and run it straight to your computer?
    I'm not sure the specific model, but if you've got more than one 3.5 mm jack (headphone looking thing), odds are one of them is an audio-input.
    Just play around with it; if you've worked with audio equipment before, it should make sense...

3. fartheststar thread starter macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Cool. I just did and I can record the drums as a live instrument. So that's ok. I guess (thinking out loud) I could record the live track and the midi track simultaniously...... one via audio in and one via usb.

The guy I am collaborating with prefers midi - but wants to know what sound I was going after.