audio (line)input on an emac g4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by monkey, Nov 13, 2003.

1. monkey macrumors newbie

in a little hose on the edge of a big cemetry
    can anyone help, i've goot this singing dancing bus that can create professional anything you want in an office, i can bend video i can sample mp3s and make the next hit single, but i cant record my baby on a minidisc jack it into the line in and import it to itunes convert it to mp3 attach it to a mail and send it to her grandparents.

why cos the computer does not recognise that it has a line in, well it does in preferences it acknowledges the existance of the 8th inch jack socket but it does not mention anything attached to that socket, like application software.

i know i can buy imic.

or i can purchase a motu 828mk2 and logic and "turn my emac into a professional multitrack recording studio.

unfortunately as anyone with a baby will tell you, there is no money for such things

is there a bit of freeware out there, i have looked but all is commercial and way over spec. any ideas appreciated

2. tripswitch macrumors newbie

Apple (bless 'em!) don't provide any software to record from the built in inputs, so you need to find something to do that. Tc Electronic (www.tcelectronic.com) have a free audio recording program called Spark ME, which is actually rather good. Download it and give it a try, its much better than the standard run of freeware recording programs. Have fun !

3. monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

4. monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

and that's how far i got.
    i have input sounds from the minidisc and have made spark me files.
    but beyond that, i can't find anywhere telling me how to manipulate it. is there an idiots guide to spark me on the web somewhere so i can read a bit more before the flurry of silly questions.
    luvs monkey

5. tripswitch macrumors newbie

hi monkey.

I think MacWorld did a getting started guide 2/3 months ago and I think you can find this on their website, but apart from that, dunno! What sort of editing do you want to do, maybe I could talk you thru'??

6. monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

first off simple stuff, i have a baby randomly gurgling into a microphone, but with huge gaps in between gurgles, i want to cut out the gaps. so her grandparents can listen to it and feel connected.

after that, the same gurgling infant, was singing backing vocals on a song i was making up. Now her tonality wasn't that hot, her timing on teh otehr hand was impecable, but she was too quiet. i want to be able to boost her signal either by layering or by shoving the volume up at the precise moments, cos she was hitting the gaps in the noise (that's what was funny).
    i'll see if i can find that guide as well. this is something i have found that is a bit weird, all the music manipulation software asumes you know about computers more than you know about music. the jump from 4 an d 8 tracks to software is huge, with no instruction in the middle. thank god for forums.
    luvs
    monkey

7. monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

can you recommend a rhythm/drum machine on a mac. i've never used any except some really basic stuff in the 1980s and tat wasn't use it was play
    luvs

8. tripswitch macrumors newbie

Cutting out the silence is just a matter of selecting the bit you don't want and then deleting it.

From memory, I think you can normalise the tracks in ME (basically boosts the level of the whole track), just select the area to boost and select normalise. Its a bit basic for layers unfortunately.

Quick question, are you using OS X or 9 ?

Don't know of any freebie drum machines, but they are some cheap ones out there, Ritmo and Doggiebox spring to mind as standalones, most seem to work as plug ins, so you'll need some proper sequencing software to run them.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you just want to record you can do that in iMovie... sorta an awkward way of doing a line in but it works I'm pretty sure... just make a new project in iMovie and go to "sounds" or something like that... should be able to record from there.

10. monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

osx2.8 emacG4, ok nothing free on the drum machine how about phat and tactile i heared sound forge make some good noises but tha twas on a pc, lots of guys talk about acid but again on pc. what workss for the mac. i've used 8 tracks but all analogue, this switch to digital is a big leap
    luvs

11. tripswitch macrumors newbie

Acid is not available for macs, the equivalent is Apple's Soundtrack or Bitheadz Phrazer. Don't know of any freebies for OS X of the top of me head. Check out www.osxaudio.com, they've got a fairly large list of stuff for OS X, if you were still on 9, then there's loads of freebies like ProTools Free etc.
    Still. have a browse there and see what you can find. Happy hunting !