Audio Multi-track software alternatives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cr2sh, Jul 17, 2003.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I've tried deck 3.5 and I didnt like it, but yesterday I downloaded a copy of SPARK ME and it gave me great optimism for the possibilities of freeware. So, if anyone can recommend a freeware multitrack program that I can try... I'm all ears.

Also, what are the thoughts on Apple's Soundtrack as being a viable option or usable alternative to CUBASE XL or the like. I'm guessing its a much lower grade in terms of capabilites.. but Ive never used it. Anyone have experience with both?

Thanks!

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

soundtrack is not a MIDI app like Cubase or Logic, it's primarily a loop arranger with audio recording/editing as a secondary (but powerful) strand.

I don't think Soundtrack is the same kind of programme as Cubase or Spark for that matter, and it really depends on what you intend doing with the app.

You might be better off shelling out for ProTools M-box and have done with the search, nothing else comes close for audio recording editing.

3. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

As stated, I'm looking for a multitrack piece of software.. record vocals, guitar, and sequence with effects.. All midi will be done inside of Reason and exported as an audio file.

SPARK is strictly an editor, no multitracking such as cubase, logic, or the like - but SPARK ME is an excellant example of FREEWARE software that is actually pretty good... so, again.. can anyone name me a piece of freeware multitracking software that is worth downloading? (with or without midi)

I was affraid that Soundtrack would be largely just a loop arrangement piece, with its roots in FCP.. that would be the expectation. I was hoping for it to be a part of the LOGIC buyout, reduced to more general needs.
    ProTools is out of the question.. I simply dislike the company and the software. Thanks for the suggestion though. Any others?