audio out anyone

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sphereboy, Dec 31, 2003.

1. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

so i have this idea that i would like to do.

i have a stereo receiver with a pair of speakers lying around. I want to get my audio out of my PowerMac into that receiver.

I have a Dual 1ghz Powermac the one with no MIC input. I do have an audio out.. what does anyone recommend in using to get the audio out? with good sound.

Should i just get a cable that fits to the back of the mac and then have 2 rca plugs on the other side into the stereo receiver? If so, what size is that back plug on the mac?

Thanks for the advice.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-man says.....perhaps take a look at the Griffin Pro Speaker Break-out kit...you won't even need to use the amplifier with that, and it's relatively cheap too.....oh yeah!

3. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

The audio out on the G4 PM's is little more than a headphone jack. I use a splitter cable (headphone jack to RCA as you suggested in your post) to connect my PC to my NAD amp. Never had any problems and the quality is fantastic, its been runing for over a year now.

4. absurdio macrumors 6502

I use one of these:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...908/wo/Ql2OyRjjobEv33y31sY1z3jgMYu/3.3.0.5.10
    and it works marvelously.

On the other hand, I also have a much cheaper one that probably came from radio shack...that's less pretty-looking, but also works fine. The audio sounds delicious with both cables.

My one complaint is that it isn't thunderously loud or anything...so sometimes I have to turn my receiver up past where I usually like to have it.

...come to think of it, I may start a thread soon if anyone knows of any good, reasonably priced amps that'd do the trick.

But for now, I'll vouch for the goodness of that monster cable. I use it almost all of every day, so I'd say it was well worth the $30.

Good luck.

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

it's called a Y-cable.

one end is stereo 1/8 plug
    other two are mono RCA plugs

There is no difference in sound quality between one that costs $2.99 or $15.99 - unless the cable is longer than 75 feet.

6. sphereboy thread starter macrumors 6502

sphereboy

are you certain certain is 1/8".

i realize the audio out is 1/8" but there is another output on the back of my mac which is for the Pro Speakers, i assume. Is there any way i can use both of these, or is it more like one or the other?

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The pro speaker jack is 1/16", regular mini-jacks, for headphones and some computer line-outs, are 1/8" and cables used for electric guitars, mics and other pro stuff are 1/4". I assume that when you have audio going out to one thing the computer kills output to the others, as with anything else.

8. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

1: That link doesn't work for me
    2: I'm guessing you live in the US and $30USD is a lot to pay for any audio cable. Mine cost $2.50AUD just over a $1.00USD.

9. absurdio macrumors 6502

Yep. You're right about both.
    The link really doesn't work. Here's a better version:

http://monstercable.com/computer/productPageComputer.asp?pin=1731

let's hope that works. *crosses fingers*
    In any case, it's the MonsterCable iCable.

You're right that $30 is pricey. The reason I opted to get that rather than the (much) cheaper Radio Shack version that I also have is that my friends have had good experience with Monster, their reputation for audio is very good, and the Monster Cables are all warrantied...so if it EVER goes wrong, I get a replacement.

Anyway, hope that helps.

10. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i used to have my headphone out connected to my Stereo receiver, then i got a Audiophile card, and i use the RCA out's to goto the receiver now, then to my mixer, then back to the audiophile...

All you need is a Y-adapter, and a patch cable of whatever distance you need. the Grade isn't important unless you are a complete audiophile and want ever freq to be accurately reproduced.

11. neut macrumors 68000

neut

im assuming your receiver also has an amp? if so, an 1/8" to RCA will suffice.

peace.

12. absurdio macrumors 6502

Recent update about my iCable:
    it didn't break, but it the jacket was starting to come detatched from the jacket, which i wasn't exactly thrilled about.

So even though it wasn't broken, exactly (it still did it's job fine), I took it to CompUSA (where I'd bought it), pointed to the warranty, and left with a brand new one. Thanks Monster, for actually having a warranty that doesn't suck.

peace.