Audio Out on FP iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mac15, Jan 23, 2003.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I wanted to hook my FP (flat panel) iMac to my home reciver. But it doesn't seem to have the right ports for it. Or does it?

Its got ports for my Pro Speaker and some ones for the heaphone jack. I was wondering If I can use either of these?

2. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

use the headphone jack, get an adapter at radioshack for 1/8" stereo minijack to dual RCA cable.

3. Macette macrumors 6502

yep, that's what i use to connect my ipod to my home stereo. about 12.50 from dick smith.

4. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

try if possible to avoid cables.
    as an audio freak i find it better to use adapters, even a few in place of cables.

it keeps it all neat. no other easy to explain reason. (i am a sound engineer) :)

good luck

5. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

Cool, I used my heaphone jack with some cables I bought ages ago and bam it works :)

thanks

6. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

I can see adapters making it neat, But I am under the understanding that any time the electrical signal goes through an adapter, it loses some signal, and it would therefore be best to have as few connections as possible. I dont see any advantage to using an eighth inch to rca adapter versus an eighth inch to rca cord. For the record, I am a sound engineer as well, (At least I finished school, if not working in the field yet)

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Strictly, the headphone jack out is a speaker driver, not a line level system for conection to a pre-amp, it'll work, but it won't sound as good as a dedicated audio interface. (But then it's free isn't it;))

If you simply want to listen to cd's or DVD's etc, then its OK, any serious audio work requires an interface, and good speakers, and a good room, and good ears... ah, crap, I'm rambling and I'm not dressed for it.

8. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

9. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

true. but he is using a headphone jack, and an imac. i assumed that he wanted things to look nice. personally i have a pmac MDD.

anyways. the otherthing is that you can get adaptors for anything -> anything. adaptors are less lielky to interfere than cable due to resistance etc.

long story short one adapter is better than 2 cables.

just get the most direct soultion.

good luck.