Audio passthrough with handbrake?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by speters, Dec 20, 2009.

1. macrumors member

I have just started to use handbrake 0.9.4 to nock down the size of my blu ray rips. I am using the High profile preset with the audio set to AC3 and DTS pasthru. The computer that I am running handbrake on is not hooked up to my home theater, so I have not been able to listen to the audio to see if it is playing back in 5.1, but I noticed something strange when I looked at the file with MediInfo. The handbrake files audio says: 640kbps, 6 channels, AC-3. But when I look at the original file with MediINfo, the audio says: 640kbps, 6 Channels, AC-3 3/2+1. If I open the hadbrake file in VLC and select audio it just says: english, but the original files says: 3/2+1 english. So is this normal?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. macrumors 6502a

It's the same audio. Handbrake does not alter the passthrough AC-3 audio in any way, so despite the minor display difference, its the same audio. No cause for concern.

3. macrumors 65816

And I would add that using 0.9.4 last week with the passthru option gave me 5.1 sound when playing back the files produced in VLC.