Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Does anyone know if audio quality under Parallels (using its virtual sound driver) is significantly worse than on a real PC with a sound card? The reason I ask is because I'm using Winamp 2.95 (got an old plugin that Winamp 5 doesn't like) to convert music in various oddball formats to something iTunes on my Mac can play. I've been doing this on a real PC (since I have one), but I'd love to move to Parallels if the audio quality won't take a significant hit. I don't notice a difference between Parallels and the real PC in playback - then again, I find it hard to tell the difference between a 192 kbps MP3 file and the same file in Apple Lossless :eek:

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
Does anyone know if audio quality under Parallels (using its virtual sound driver) is significantly worse than on a real PC with a sound card? The reason I ask is because I'm using Winamp 2.95 (got an old plugin that Winamp 5 doesn't like) to convert music in various oddball formats to something iTunes on my Mac can play. I've been doing this on a real PC (since I have one), but I'd love to move to Parallels if the audio quality won't take a significant hit. I don't notice a difference between Parallels and the real PC in playback - then again, I find it hard to tell the difference between a 192 kbps MP3 file and the same file in Apple Lossless :eek:

If you are just converting music what does that have to do with how good the sound output is exactly???

And I don't notice any problems with it really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.