Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jak3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Do any of you have problems with the audio when you rip movies? I used the "Film" preset in Handbrake. The audio stutters sometimes and no it's not my speakers.

Are the other presets I should use for audio instead?

If I'm not being very clear let me know and I'll try to rephrase it.;)

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
The "Film" preset uses only the AC3 stream for audio. Maybe this is the problem? Try using the Apple TV preset and see what happens. You can dial back the bitrate if you don't want to use 2500 kbps.

Jak3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
If you are encoding to an MP4 with an AC3 soundtrack, the AC3 stream is unmodified.

As in, same as in film?

In which case it shouldn't be making the stutters since it doesn't do that when I play it on a DVD player...

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Hard to say what went wrong without a copy of the activity log.

EDIT: If I had to guess, I'd imagine you are probably running the .9.2 version of Handbrake (which is the latest public release). There were some known sync issues that were fixed shortly after it was released. If your problem is indeed related to this, using the developer snapshot #3 available over on the official Handbrake forums would likely fix your problem.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Without knowing any other details, I'm guessing that the high AC3 bitrate is causing your network to stutter. Are you streaming or syncing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.