Audio Recording

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chunkywheats, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Chunkywheats macrumors newbie

Jun 28, 2005
    I've had my G4 iBook for about a year now, and I want to begin recording some of my own music. I have Garage Band, but because my iBook only has a low quality built in mic, I am looking to purchase an Audio interface. I have looked at iMic (, but I want to know if there are better interfaces out on the market that would fit my needs and are reasonably priced.

I also would like to be able to record several different instruments at the same time onto different tracks, so if anyone has any advice on the best way to do so without having to spend a lot of money on peripherals.

Thanks in advance
  2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    You need to get a multi-input Audio Interface. They aren't cheap, but work extremely well. The Lexicon Omega interface seems to be a good way of doing things. You can record 4 instruments at the same time. It's portable, and offers mic preamps, so you don't need any extra gear for connecting a microphone (it has two of them, so if you want 3 or 4 mics, you'll either need a little external mixer or external mic preamps).

Software wise, either Logic Express or Cubase (not VST, stay away from Cubase VST!!!) seems to be a good way to go.

The iMic definitely won't do what you want it to do with satisfactory results. :)
  3. Chunkywheats thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 28, 2005
    Thanks for the help Killyp. The Lexicon Omega interface is a little too expensive for me, but I do have another question. I have access to a sound board but how would I connect the sound board to my iBook for use of recording? Would I need a special audio interface for that?

Note: I don't know what kind of sound board it is but it has not been used for recording purposes, but as a interface between mic/ speakers (as in a concert).
  4. sahnert macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    You can get a simple stereo interface for use with the mixing board.
    EDIT: changed my example
    This would give you two individual mono tracks for recording guitar, vocal etc. simultaneously.

Another option is to check out the various new mixers that have USB or Firewire interfaces built in.
    I have and Alesis multimix 8 USB and it can record two channels simultaneously. The firewire versions are more pricey, but I believe they allow more simultaneous tracks.
  5. cornerdealy macrumors regular

May 30, 2006
    I have M-audio fasttrack, it works really well, but it only has one 1/4" input and one XLR input. My band is recording a demo onto my imac through it and we just do one track at a time, that way not everyone has to play it perfectly at the same time and we can edit individual tracks.
  6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Check out the guide (primer) over on the digital audio section of these boards.