Audio Recording??

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Falleron, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Hi, I need to record a voice with a microphone under OS8.6. What software can I use? I am looking for the simplest way of doing it. Each recording I will be doing should be about 2mins long so I need to keep the file size down (Telephone quality is fine). Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

For real simple recording I would use SimpleSound.

For slightly more advanced (and my personal favourite) I would use SoundStudio2 (http://www.versiontracker.com)

Ensign

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

That is if you want to do it the simpliest!

Do it with simple sound and the edit it with Quick Time Pro (crop here, delete there, etc).

If you want to do it a biy better use final cut pro or any other video software, that is to detele unwanted sounds and to impruve the signal, may be equalizing.

Be sure your computer have audio imput because some new macs doesn't.

Good luck.

4. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Its a pain that my New PowerMac DP does not have a microphone!! I am having to use my old Powermac 8600 + then transfer the audio files on the new machine so they can then be used in Director.

5. TheT macrumors 6502

Yeah, the new G4s have one really weak point: no audio input!!! I have to use an iMic to get sound in my G4, and via USB, playthrough is not possible... please, Apple, is that highend??
    BTW: I use SoundStudio for audio recording, it is available for all MacOS...

6. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Apple's reasoning is that USB microphones are just as common, if not more common, than the old audio in ones. I think they must save about 20 cents per machine by not putting the electronics in :)

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

You know... I do not really buy that. Apple have allways been very cheap about the overall sound on the machines. Every single audio aspect is based on a visual end too. I mean, we have nice speakers, visualizers, but no better i/o converters. And worst, not even audio imput. So you are paying the same every Mac generation with out an important feature.

I know you can get a mic, but it is not for free, they should include it then. Are Macs a multimedia computer or not?

I can tell Jobs is a visual person.

Returning to the topic. The audio sound of your old computer is gonna be the same as tyhe USB mic.

Do to record 2 minutes at once, if you are doing it already you will see is a pain. Do it in chunks, so there would be easy to maipulate in director.

Direactor and Flash are not very good in audio/video sync, they work based events, so take a sample per event then.

8. guv macrumors newbie

yeah hes visual, u seen his 3/4 length combats.

god in combats, who woulda thot it

9. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

The Macs audio capabilities are a joke and have been for a long time now, I mean you can't compare the audio spec of the 2002 G4s to an Atari Falcon, let alone a £50 load of creative labs junk shoved in a PC!!!

Come on apple, get someone like digidesign to do the audio system!!

All we need on a basic level is the inputs and a cheap way of adding midi. (midi interfaces are cheap anyway, but how about being able to swap the internal modem as a BTO for an actual apple branded internal midi interface).

OS X has got all these cool features under the hood with core audio and no mac can benefit from them in any slightly creative way that involves recording or midi without adding extra hardware to an already overpriced system in the firstplace.

Here's what the mac's got in 2002:

16 bit 44.1Khz audio out, non standard digital audio out, no audio in, no midi (only important for some people but mac's should have had midi right from the start).

Now we look at Atari

1992:

16bit 50Khz Audio I/O, DSP for effect processing (nothing on Altivec obviously), Midi I/O

1985:

8bit Audio out (cards available to add 16bit i/o), Midi I/O

how far behind does that mac have to get before apple do something about it ? as long as you can play games to keep the kids buying iMacs and you can edit video and run photoshop on it, they couldn't care less.

10. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I think there is a situation with Apple Inc. and Apple Corp (Beetles band thing) that stops Apple selling macs as Digital Music machines, I will do some research and post more tomorrow!

Ensign