Audio Software Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by deltrotter, Dec 8, 2004.

1. deltrotter macrumors regular

Hi everyone

Ok, I have just bought a new iBook. Cracking bit of kit. I am new to the mac scene.

Anyway, I am going to be buying an iMic and a boundary mic, and will be doing some interviews to be recorded on the iBook.

Could anyone give me recommendations on sofware for:

a) Recording the audio to the iBook. Interviews could be an hour long.

b) Editing the audio. I'll be doing basic stuff, e.g. cutting out bits of audio, and maybe changing the volume in places. Then saving to different formats.

All help gratefully received!

Cheers

Del

2. Guntis macrumors member

Guntis

3. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

A low cost solution would be Amadeus ($30 I think)

http://www.hairersoft.com/Amadeus.html

I have used this for over a year for basic sound editing and conversion, and have been very satisfied with it.

4. Guntis macrumors member

Guntis

I've never used GaraBand, but I guess that maybe GarageBand could be used for this purpose too. And probably you already have it! :)

5. deltrotter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for those. That is a good start. Any more recommendations and I'll look at them.

Out of interest, would iMovie be of use to me. At work I use Adobe Premiere to edit audit (massively underusing its potential I know!). It does the trick, once I have recorded the audio. Lets me cut and paste sections of the audio where I like.

TIA

Del

6. Guntis macrumors member

Guntis

Check GarageBand! Once I saw broadcast where Jobs was introducing GarageBand, and he asked musician to play a guitar, and he recorded it in GarageBand, so probably it's possible. If you can record there, probably there is a way to cut and paste audio pieces... And it's for free.

7. deltrotter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. Garageband is on the iBook. I'll ask on the Garageband forum as well.

Cheers

Del

8. margotspop macrumors regular

Garageband is overkill. It used ti be that Bias Soundsoap was included in the software that came with an apple. Check if you have it - if so, that's fine for what you need. If not, then then a very popular app is Audacity which is free. For your needs, you definitely shouldn't lay out any money.