Audio solution for iMac G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by StoneMtn, Aug 27, 2006.

1. StoneMtn macrumors newbie

I have an older flat-panel iMac (lamp model) and we're planning on using it to power our iTunes to a stereo. I have speakers but need to get a receiver or maybe an amp of some sort. We have no plans to use a radio, hook it to a TV or any other stereo set-up.

What I'm saying is that we're looking for a basic set-up to get the iMac hooked to speakers we already own. 2-channel and good audio quality are the only requirements.

Any suggestions on receiver? Could we just go with an amp of some sort?

Do we need anything more than stereo mini-jack to RCA cables for this? This iMac model doesn't have digital audio out. Would we be better off with some sort of USB solution?

Thanks for your input.

Stonemtn

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

You'll be fine hooking up your iMac to your stereo using a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA cable. That gets the most clearest transfer of sound. Make sure your iMac isn't grounded if your stereo isn't. Then your stereo could make ground through your iMac resulting in a humm in the sound.

Also look at
    http://www.octiv.com/index.asp?content=iTunes
    This is a nice plugin for iTunes, which really enhances the sound. Try it out, it's free. Especially nice if you have big speakers! Radiostations use something similair (be it hardware or software), but it's the same idea.