Audio Throughput

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jambi, Mar 25, 2007.

1. jambi macrumors newbie

Is there any way I can enable monitoring of my Macbook's line-in port without having to open Garageband or whatever? I want to run my electric piano into the line-in, so to hear both it and a metronome widget through headphones. I don't need to record or anything.

I just want to be able to practise with a metronome without waking the wife.

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Go to System Preferences - and click on Sound.

[​IMG]

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Get some headphone splitter cables and/or a small mixer.

Even with an audio app open, there will be some latency as the sound is digitized into the Mac, and then reconverted to analog and output.

4. jambi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice.

I have switched my preferences to "line-in port," and I can set the input level so it's not clipping, that's no problem.

My issue is that I just want to be able to "eavesdrop" on the analog signal that's being sent to the analog line in, without starting Garageband or iMovie. Windows does this natively--you select the checkbox under the input, and it monitors the chosen input through your headphones or speakers.

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    try installing this little recording app, and just set it to "rec pause"

and you should start hearing your input.

pretty sure there is no way to do it without some type of app, and that one is the tinyest