Audio under Jaguar

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Taft, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Found this on Apple's site. I'm especially intrigued with the highlighted bit. So how many of you guys believe this????

Sounds Like You Need This
    Jaguar features new audio technologies that enable your Mac to support high-resolution, multi-channel audio found in DVDs and 3D game audio. Jaguar also enhances the professional audio features associated with the Macintosh platform, including multi-channel I/O, high-resolution audio handling (24/192 and beyond), new MIDI capabilities and DSP and virtual instrument plug-ins. All of this, combined with the lowest audio throughput latency of any computer operating system , makes Mac OS X v10.2 the ultimate operating system for audio pros.
  2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i'm very excited by the improved audio/midi capabilities in jag...but only if everyone will use 1 standard protocol. however, i'm not expecting any of the big midi/audio apps to support core audio/midi in the near future...heck they're all just trying to be X compliant and thats taking FOREVER...i will be very surprised if ANY of the audio/midi apps(including emagic) really take advantage of jag until 2003...just my guess.
  3. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    i'm psyched too but i believe that the hold up for all the big apps is 10.2 i think they have been ready for a while but have to wait for jag to be released. i think they were probably developed around the advanced core setup but since apple hasn't released jag they had to wait. i even bet some of them will have 10.2 as a minimum system requirement.
  4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    Bias Inc

Supports Core Audio

Apple might ship Logic this year with CA support.

Still waiting for Cubase SX..don't know if CA will be there fully.

TJWETT is right. Jaguar is the coming out party for audio.
  5. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    Audio I/O

If Mac OS will now support multi-channel audio through Core Audio, it would be nice if there was a way to get multi-channel audio in and out of the mac built in, at least on the TiBooks and PowerMacs. An optical in and anothe optical audio out port would be nice, but it is probably possible through USB already. :cool: