Audio work on a MAc

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by GigaWire, Mar 2, 2003.

1. GigaWire macrumors 6502

I would like to attach a yamaha cs1-x synth to a new fw800 mac. I would also like to reord what is being played in Pro Tool 6 LE. Since I know nothing about audio, can someone here suggest what I would need to get this up and running? Also, I would rather not spend a great deal of money, since this would just be a hobby kind of thing. The keyboard has midi out. The Pro Tools i'll get from work, so that's not an issue. Assume I know nothing about this in your descriptions please. (which is true here :))

cheers

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

You can get a MIDI I/O from M-Audio (MIDI Man) with two ports in and two out. Check the link below. They run about $60-80 at music shops. Try Guitar Center, if there's one in your area. They will usually match prices if you bring in advertisements from competitors. This includes Net offers, though not eBay.

As for your audio interface, you will not be thrilled to hear that PT requires PT hardware to run. You will have to buy an audio interface from DigiDesign to use PT LE. The MBox comes with PT LE, but not 6.0. It also costs $500.

Don't let anyone fool you into spending extra cash on an audio device that operates higher than 16 bit/44100 HZ. That's the rate for CD audio. Buying gear for higher sound quality is a plus, but you will have to dither the audio when you convert it from, say, 96KHZ to 44100 - this negates the extra cash you spent.

Realistically, who do you know with Super Audio CD or DVD Audio (the two consumer formats that support these higher rates)? More importantly, you won't have the means to burn discs in those formats. This does not mean avoid higher rates, but don't think you need them. Think of it like buying a FireWire drive and running it through a converter to plug it into your USB.

My advice, if you are out use a synth and (I assume) sequence your tracks with MIDI (how much do you know about the hows and whys for MIDI?) you will do well to pick up a different app than PT. PT is supposed to gain new and improved MIDI functionality with version 6, but it still is not designed for the type of work you would go after with a synth or workstation. With strong MIDI, you can sequence an entire track without recording and audio. This will allow for more complex rhythms and melodies than you may be able to "play." I don't know how much of a pianist you are, so evaluate that idea as it applies in your case.

If you want more info, just ask. I can go on all day about this stuff. PS - What are you out to accomplish? Are you checking music periodicals for gear advice and reviews?

Good luck!

Dan

http://www.midiman.com/products/midiman/USB2x2.php

http://www.digidesign.com/products/mbox/

3. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Any thoughts about this? Learned anything?

Dan

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Re: Audio work on a MAc

I would guess from your post that you don't want to use MIDI, is that right?

If you have access to ProTools LE AND its hardware (M-box or Digi001) then you have everything you need. ProTools LE, as already noted by alset will not run without hardware.

If you intend to record multitrack (recording a track and then recording a second track whilst listening to the original etc.) then you will need an app like ProTools, or maybe Logic or Cubase or Digital Performer,as they all do the same thing.

If you only want to record a single track, say a performance on your keyboard, then something like Bias Peak would work, in either case you will need an audio interface, there are many avaliable, check out your main music tech mags.

MIDI will require an interface, the MIDIman that alset describes is very nice, I have one at home and it's faultless under OSX, but to get the best out of a sequencer package, you'll need multi-timbral synth, i.e. one that can play different sounds at once over different MIDI channels, does your Yamaha allow this?

Alternativley you could try propellorheads Reason, and use the Yammy as a master keyboard, Reason is a synth/sampler/effects/mixer/sequencer package that is effectivley an all-in-one solution, but it does not record audio.

You really need to identify exactly what you want to achieve, then I'm sure we can help better.:)