audiophiles, please help!

Discussion in 'Community' started by purplehaze, Dec 5, 2004.

1. purplehaze macrumors newbie

I've just bought a DVD home theatre system and believe it or not, it doesn't have a headphone socket. Seriously.

The amp has a two-pronged audio-out socket (red and white) - is there some kind of converter I can buy to enable me to listen to my music and dvds in headphones?

I know nothing about audio. Can someone help?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That audio out is line-level... similar to the output from a stand-alone CD player/tape deck etc.

You'll need to amplify it to get a signal for headphones.
    You can do one of two things:

1) Attach/buy a cheap std. amplifier with a headphone socket, perhaps a mini or midi sized one or...
    2) Get a dedicated headphone amplifier.

3. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

3) look for a set of wireless headphones that use the line out jack for their input as opposed to a standard head phone jack. I think these:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT..._HAVDepartmentAccessories_Headphones_Wireless
    would give that option. (lots of other options for other manufacturers for more or less $$) Then you not only have headphones that work with your amp, but you can wander around listening to them. Going this route is probably going to be comparable to buying resonable sounding headphone amp.

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

4) Make your life less complicated and return it for a system that has what you need so you don't have to worry about a multitude of additional components. LOL. Just a suggestion.

5. purplehaze thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Is that not a headphone socket to the left of the CD drawer?

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Sure does look like it...maybe all he needs is a mini-jack to 1/4" converter...

8. purplehaze thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought it was the headphone socket on the box too, but it's actually the infra-red bit for the remote.

I found a headphone pre-amp for about £30 - will there be any loss of sound quality by using this?

thanks for the replies, btw - I appreciate it.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes -- but only probably measurable by equipment or heard by bats & dogs :)

10. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh