Audit scorches Bush’s reading program

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 25, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

i get the feeling that this is a pattern in every part of our gov't. and do these groups clean up on their own, or only when caught?

i wonder how much gov't waste would have to be stopped in order to fully fund healthcare for everyone. one percent? two?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I have always thought the best thing to do with the US Dept of Education is to eliminate it completely. Take the money earmarked for it and distribute it to the states on a matching basis, by census data. Money should be earmarked for direct education contributors only, ie, new school construction, teachers salaries, textbooks, classroom computers (macs, of course). Education has become a multi billion dollar industry, wherein our children are not the main focus.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sad but true, education has now become a big business meaning making $$$ not educating anyone. Lets be honest though has anything Bush Jr done actually worked? Sure we get the talking points and the spin from the party but almost everything this guy has touched has ended up as being a screwed up mess. Every Child left behind is just more of the we will give you a sweet sounding Program but prepare yourself to bend over because here it comes.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Putting conservatives in charge of the Dept of Ed. is like letting Greanpeace activists run ExxonMobile. IOW, they want it to fail.

Considering we've had consevative administrations who have subscribed to the idea that the Dept. of Ed (among others) should be eliminated for 26 of the last 38 years, I'm not surprised that the department is having difficulties. Of course, it's nothing that couldn't be fixed with some competent leadership, but when you have people in office who hate specific parts of the government it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

See FEMA for example. Worked fine under Clinton, and even under Bush 41. But give Bush 43 control, and he puts his incompetent cronies in positions that make the department look useless when in fact it is only the administrators themselves who are useless.

6. vniow macrumors G4

Why am I reading the title as "Audit scorches Bush's reading problem"?

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sticking FEMA under the guargantuan DHS and then removing it's ability to actually manage disaster planning and relief under Chertoff's purview didn't help either.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I could have told you that, both of my parents are teachers. They throw money into the bureaucracy, give all sorts of ridiculous guidelines that cause more problems than solve, cut funding for the actual things that need it, then talk about how we should cut more funding and give more guidelines or just drown the whole thing in the bathtub when everything they're doing fails miserably.

Sometimes I wonder about the whole "informed masses" thing.

9. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Damn, that's the same thing I read. I blame percocet and bourbon for my reading disorder. But, I am comfortable with that.