Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
I could see it as the shipping date, it makes since because of Jaguar. Now, ifthis is true, and Apple wants to push the remaiing stock, I think we can also expect something new that everyone can use. Some iApp maybe, or something anway, that would entice people to get a discontinued model even though the new ones are around the corner.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
WOW

Wow, what an amazing story !! They saw the date that the promotion ended and said "as confirmed Apple has tentatively" that the next day it will come out with new power macs...journalism at its finest...

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
How original.

Its the easiest prediction in the world to say something new is coming out the day promotions for older products end.

What I want to know is why Apple isnt coming out with RDRAM systems.

Or better yet, the G5. I think its safe to say we will never see the 64 bit G5

Funkatation

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by agreenster

What I want to know is why Apple isnt coming out with RDRAM systems.

RDRAM is not a technology that apple should get into. Its more expensive than DDR SDRAM, far more complicated, has a higher latency, etc. Plus and RMBS has an FTC investigation going for them currently. The only reason the Pentium 4 + i850E shines with RDRAM is because its a dual channel solution. The current DDR solutions are just single channel (except for nVidia's nForce, but its not a P4 chipset, just an athlon and due to architechtural issues of the platform, doesn't help out too much) Intel's upcoming chipsets will feature Dual Channel DDR, and I believe then we will see the fall of rambus. I'm sure hoping for it ! :)

giovanni

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
dudes,
MWNY is already known everywhere as the "largest" ever, furthermore it is concomitant to the opening of the NYC Apple Store: do you really think Apple will just announce a couple of updates to a couple of iSuck applications ???? If they don't come up with some serious new pro hardware (thereby admitting failure - because they must have planned to) then they for sure would announce it.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
thats wonderfull, it's on my birthday! i am trully touched!!
it would be a nice gift..
but noone will buy it to me :(
i'll never have hi-end powermac:(..whats the point in living?:rolleyes:

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
dropping classic iMac?

I think they will soon drop it because its so outdated. But Think Secret says they are dropping it because of LOW MARGINS???
That's stupid. This design is 5 years old and pure profit.

This is from the Apple Store, the Indigo iMac:
Off to the side I put a guesstimation of what they pay for a component.

$799.00
500MHz PowerPC G3 $50?
256K L2 cache @ 500 MHz
128MB SDRAM $30?
20GB Ultra ATA drive $30?
CD-ROM Drive $25?
RAGE 128 Ultra w/16MB $35?
10/100BASE-T Ethernet $5?
56K fax modem $15?
15-inch display $40?
(13.8-inch VIS)
Harman Kardon Speakers $5?
VGA Video Mirroring
2 USB & 2 FireWire ports
AirPort Ready

The case and ports... $25?
Assembly $25?
Box and Shipping $25

This is a machine they have MAYBE $300 in and it sells for $750 to $800 at the Store. By the way, I made up those cost numbers. My point is just that this computer is terribly outdated but highly profitable. When they drop it I'll bet the eMac at $1000 to $1100 will grow in volume and also be VERY profitable. There's probably no way they have over $500 in an eMac.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Last week they said towers in excess of 1.2ghz and now they are saying of at least 1.2ghz. So which is it? 1.2ghz at the low end or 1.2 at the high end? I thought this was confirmed a few days ago and now this new info is confirmed. So which is the real confrimation? Excess of or at least 1.2ghz?

Some confirmation :rolleyes:

What's next week's confirmation?

If Apple does not update the pro line I will be so pi$$ed! Whats the point of an Expo when all you release is a few new apps and no new computer:( I bet all these are untrue and there are powermacs around the corner. If they do update to 1.4ghz then I think there is a %50 chance of a speed bumped iMac.

Post #750 only 250 more to go;)

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
Being optimistic I choose to believe all these rumors of the past few days are too pessimistic...here's why:

What good on earth is it to spend tens of millions of dollars on the biggest advertising campaign in years at a time when your product announcements will generate negative publicity?????

I cannot believe Steve has that in mind. For that reason I still expect MWNY to have all these things:

1. iMac speed bumps + 17"
2. eMac speed bumps
3. bumps to iBook and/or TiBook
4. something for iPod
5. at the very least PowerMac announcement.
6. Also don't forget, while Jaguar is well-known to us, its a very big thing with the speed and feature changes. Bigger than Win 95 to Win 98 really.
7. Plus at least one more thing, some surprise, something for the digital hub.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by Macmaniac
If Apple does not update the pro line I will be so pi$$ed!

You and me both, brother! You'd think after the "What? That's it? No new PowerMacs?" in January, they'd get it together for this expo! It seems like they're shunning us pro users in order to woo the consumer with the iMac. They can't seriously expect me to shell out $3K for a system that's been running old technologies for a couple years now! Something's got to give soon.

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
I agree we are getting at least an announcement of the new G4 in Macworld NY. It makes sense for this machines to be shown not only on the show but also on the new Ny stores that are going to open.

I also see the 1.2, 1.4 and 1.5mhz specs --

I'm looking to upgrade from a g4 400mhz to a 1G at least
My 400 is still kicking b... and I can do every graphic design task without a problem. I also have a 400mhz but a G3 at work and i works great. I dont think many pc owners can say the same about their P1 or P2 machines.

:cool:

johnpaul191

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Philadelphia PA
so now no new anyting?

today's new epson printer rebate is good with the purchase of an imac, emac and ibook. since the rebate goes past wednesday can we assume the only upgrades will be to the TiBook and the iPod?

i still think the rebate on G4 systems is not much indication of MWNYC. if we do not see powermacs at MW, then i would guess the end of the rebate is the next logical date. i guess it also depends on the 10.2 true shipping date that steve is supposed to announce next week. even with these potential dates on the schedule, i would not be shocked to see something next week. if they do more than a speedbump, then i would think there are good reasons to have all the press/consumers getting a hands on view.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by djniche

My 400 is still kicking b... and I can do every graphic design task without a problem. I also have a 400mhz but a G3 at work and i works great. I dont think many pc owners can say the same about their P1 or P2 machines.

This needs to be posted to peecee sites.

Rocketman

elensil

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
The worst case scenario would be that PowerMacs would be announced but not RELEASED on MWNY. Released in August is a posibility...

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
No one really talks about what software is coming. I think that apple will release Final Cut Pro 4, DVD Studio Pro 2, and a Pro audio program.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Get over it

You guys are all in denial. PowerMacs will not make the Expo, and no the world is not going to end.

Apple wants to separate the announcement of new hardware from these big events. Why? Because they don't want people to stop buying their hardware a month before every major show.

The PowerMac, iBook, and Powerbook were all updated outside these events. And the same goes with this round of Powermacs. They'll be out in August, when they're good and ready, and not at some arbitrary deadline set by the Expos.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Originally posted by billiam0878

1.4's or 1.5's are still possible as Think Secret said "speed-bumps of at least 1.2GHz" and CNET said "in excess of 1.2GHz." Here's hoping,

Bill

YES!!! I got it! 2.2 GHz PowerMacs! As Think Secret are predicting... "speed-bumps of at least 1.2GHz". A speed-bump of at least 1.2 GHz...... :eek:

NICE!!!!! :p :p :p :D :D :)

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Originally posted by djniche
I agree we are getting at least an announcement of the new G4 in Macworld NY. It makes sense for this machines to be shown not only on the show but also on the new Ny stores that are going to open.

I also see the 1.2, 1.4 and 1.5mhz specs --

I've got the same G4 as you. Just recently popped in a cheap Radeon into the machine. Been thinking of bumping up the RAM and I may add a processor upgrade. The 800Mhz or 1Ghz ones just announced a short while back. But if Apple puts out pro machines with 1.2, 1.4 and more speeds then I will skip the upgrades and plan on a new tower soon. Especially needs DDR. If its just a 1.2 top end system then skip it, I will upgrade my CPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.