1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

August 20, 1999: Apple Sues eMachines

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 20, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I remember that Gateway had a system called the Neo which was essentially an iMac, although it was beige and featured a floppy drive :p

[​IMG]

3. macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

neo? i had one of these it was called the astro. it was a tough little thing. but i hated having windows me and all.

4. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Windows ME and those looks? How could they have gone wrong? :rolleyes: :eek:

5. macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

it wasnt long before i decided to put windows 98 SE on. i have to say i really did liked that machine ... till the motherboard died. Gateway refused to allow me to get it repaired cause they said they no longer support it or some crazy talk like that. so, i just built my own computer.

6. macrumors 68000

Shadow

Did it do the Superman? :p

7. macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

i think it did! from what i recall..

8. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It seems that they used different names in different countries. If I go to the old Gateway NZ site and try to download drivers for the Neo, it redirects me through to the Astro drivers on the US site.

9. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

As a point of reference, I believe this is the machine they're referring to. Leave it to eMachines to goose up a nice design.

The eMachines eOne:

[​IMG]

EDIT: I remember that Gateway monstrosity. :)

10. macrumors 6502

eMachines suck horribly, figures that they try to (unsuccesfully) make a machine look good

11. macrumors 601

mjstew33

I know! :rolleyes: Gateway is going to go down the tubes...

12. macrumors 68020

wmmk

really. it started with their retail shops, then it's been all downhill for them. still, they're not doing badly in the tablet market.

13. macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

gateway started to do terrible because they started marketing media pc's for living room use about 5 years before they were ready to.

plasmas were too expensive, lcds too expensive and too small, no windows media center edition.

now. gateway doubleplusungood.