August 31, 1997: Apple releases Rhapsody to developers

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by RacerX, Aug 31, 2006.

1. RacerX macrumors 65832

Funny that for all the odd little history blurbs that we see in these forums, this event would be over looked... even though it marked the beginning of the end of the original Mac OS and the start of what would become Mac OS X.

2. chatin macrumors 6502

chatin

NEXTSTEP, I mean OSX, Rules!!

And, September 18 will mark the release of NEXTSTEP 1.0, way back in 1989!

The color wheel cursor has stayed they same through all versions, although back in 1989 you needed at $4500 color card to see the color!!

3. RacerX thread starter macrumors 65832

The dates I have for the early releases are a little different:
    October 12 1988: NeXTSTEP 0.8 was released (with the NeXTcube).
    June 1989: NeXTSTEP 1.0 was released.
    September 18, 1990: NeXTSTEP 2.0 was released.​
    NeXTSTEP 2.0 was the first version to support color and was released along with the first NeXT hardware to support color (NeXT had put support for higher resolutions in front of support for color in the hardware/OS road map).

So I'd guess that back in 1989 you'd have needed a lot more than $4500 to get a color NeXT system.

But NeXT did announce the NeXTdimension at the same time as NeXTSTEP 2.0. That would let you upgrade earlier NeXTcubes to color (for about $3000 as I recall).

For some great screenshots of NeXTSTEP 1.0 you can check out the page of the guy who designed most of the NeXT GUI (Keith Ohlfs).

4. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

It was a spinning CD rather than the current beach ball design right through to OS 10.1

5. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Hey Racer, you may wanna fix that screenshot.

You made a big typo on the second August.

I wish Rhapsody was easier to find than it is now. :(

6. chatin macrumors 6502

chatin

Clarification is a good thing! I got my date from the Nextstep Wikki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEXTSTEP

The first www server ran this anazing OS. :D

[​IMG]

7. sigamy macrumors 65816

This is so funny...just this evening I dug my NeXTstation out of storage and plugged it in. My 5 year old son had a blast playing with lip service.

And I didn't even remember that the spinning beachball was in NeXTSTEP until I saw it pop up tonight!

8. RacerX thread starter macrumors 65832

I had guessed that was the source of the information. Sadly Wikipedia doesn't have a very good track record on these things. Nor do they have a good record of correcting those errors when pointed out.

Oh well. :rolleyes: It is the price for having such subjects being covered by people who have little or no experience with the topic. Part of the issue is that the writers at Wikipedia are repeating the errors of others.

In the case of this date error (and a date error on the release of Mac OS X v10.2 that was posted on this site*) we can trace it back to one person... Amit Singh.

I don't think anyone makes these mistakes on purpose... it is just sad when they are later sited as facts.

* Note: I have attempted to help people correct their errors, but most are uninterested in setting the record straight.

9. Silentwave macrumors 68000

well the good thing about WP is that if you see a mistake, its easy to correct it. takes 2 seconds :)

10. RacerX thread starter macrumors 65832

Too many egos over at Wikipedia... I've seen the Wiki-elite in action, and it sure doesn't seem like accurate information makes it (permanently) to the pages of Wikipedia without issue.

It is like arguing with teenagers about things that they weren't even there for... and when I talk about teenagers I mean teenagers. The founder of the WikiProject Macintosh (wackymacs, who has been adding the largest recent edits to the NeXT related pages) is 16 years old.

And while I'm sure that many of these people have good intentions, the speed at which they are willing to correct mistakes is pretty sad. I have informed wackymacs of errors, none of which has been corrected. And I pointed some of these errors out more than 8 months ago.

But what is more troubling is statements by wackymacs that are so off base factually that I have to wonder about any of his information. For example, wackymacs has said the following about Rhapsody:
    "Rhapsody does not have any networking capabilities."
    "Rhapsody was never completed, it never even worked right."
    And this is one of the people at Wikipedia watching out for the quality of Mac-related information.

Sorry, but the problems with the information at Wikipedia in areas relating to Apple and NeXT can't be fixed in 2 seconds. The problems are systemic and (frankly) aren't worth my time to attempt to get involved with.

If I see a change (away from self promotion and elitism, and towards accurate information) I may reconsider helping, but I feel I can do more good in these areas with my sites or pointing out errors in forums like this one than attempting to get involve with Wikipedia.