1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

August 7th Updates: iMacs, iLife '08, iWork '08, Mac Mini and More...

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 7, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple introduced quite a few updates today, so we summarized them here to make sure you didn't miss any of them:

iMacs - brushed metal, with thin keyboard, up to 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme Processor. (unboxing)
    iLife '08 - completely new iMovie and updated iApps (video tour)
    iWork '08 - updated Keynote, Pages and new spreadsheet called Numbers. Downloadable demo available.
    .Mac - personal domains, increased storage (10GB) and transfer limit (100GB), Web Gallery (example)
    Mac mini - Core 2 Duo processors at 1.83GHz/2.0GHz.
    Airport Extreme - now with Gigabit ethernet.
    Mac Pro RAID - build-to-order RAID card for $999,..

Individual stories are linked above.

Quicktime video of event now available.

Article Link

2. Guest

Darkroom

steve seemed either really depressed, or really tired during his keynote...

3. macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

It was okay… I guess… nothing special… :cool:

But I want to know how "good" the ATi card is – in general, as well as compared to the one in the MBPs! :confused:

Now, I want the new 24" iMac… but, I just can't justify upgrading… unless the ATi card is worth it for gaming? :)

4. macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Were those photos taken with an iPhone by any chance? :p

5. macrumors newbie

Overpriced, underpowered

Only 1GB ram? Who is going to play over 1700$ for a computer with just 1GB ram?

No dvd burner on the mac mini? Well, not much of a media center computer, is it?

This is sad...

6. macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Is the keynote available for download anywhere? I have fairly slow internet at the moment and when I try to watch it is unbearably choppy. Thanks.

7. macrumors regular

kcroy

Great updates all around!

I was very happy with today's updates. Once Leopard is out I will buy the new 24" iMac. Looks great.

Regarding iLife...

I read this: "Using iWeb '08, you can embed dynamic web widgets like Google Maps, Google AdSense, Web Gallery albums, or HTML snippets in your .Mac site."

Does anyone know if an html snippet could be a shopping cart of PayPal purchase button? Could you sell something you created on your webpage?

8. macrumors newbie

Video won't play

I've gone to the Apple site to watch the special event and the quicktime file has a "Bad Request" message.

Anyone else getting this error?

9. macrumors 6502

very solid update day

10. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Major yawn fest on the iMac and Mac mini.

Mac Pro you're my only hope!

11. JC4
    macrumors member

I just got back from the Easton Apple store. I called ahead to see if they had any 2.8's in stock. "Don't know about the 2.8s" Goes away for a minute. "Yup, plenty" I get there (1 hour drive), and a kid goes back to get one. Several minutes later, he tries to ring me up for a 2.4. Luckily I noticed. He went to the back for Several minutes, comes out: "The 2.8's are Online purchase only."

So much for calling ahead. 1 lost sale Apple.

12. macrumors newbie

Photos...

Yep Photos were taken with an iphone

13. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I kind of disagree and here is why, the GPU in new iMac is really a backward step from the 7600GT option. Mini had a cpu bump after how long? Keyboard looks cool, and its about time for ilife & iwork. Waiting for real world reviews here and elsewhere.

14. macrumors G5

nagromme

Correction: the iMacs are NOT brushed aluminum. (Apple has never used brushed aluminum for any hardware. They have used a brushed look for textured metal windows, but never on physical products.)

Many apple products are aluminum, but none are BRUSHED aluminum. Brushing creates a distinctive linear texture... like a brush :) See Safari 2 for instance. Like this. There is no such linear texture on these iMacs. Someone posted that that fine texture Apple uses is called bead-blasted. I wouldn't know. But "brushed" is a very distinctive look and very different from what Apple uses.

Just setting the myth straight :) They're aluminum, and they do have some kind of texture. But not brushed.

PS, I like that ALL Mac keyboards, from laptop to desktop can soon have the same top-row key functions. I guess that justifies moving Exposé around and leaving the far-right F-keys unused. I kind of want one of those new compact Bluetooth keyboards.

15. macrumors 68000

iWork is just plain amazing. I'm going to pick it up sometime soon. I'm using the trial now, I've already deleted Office. The old versions of Pages have sucked, but the new Pages and Numbers are all Office 2004 should have been.

16. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

iWork is amazing, Numbers looks incredible from the trial, the travel template is going to be amazingly useful for my holiday to SE Asia, the layout is SO much better than anything you can do in Excel. Pages looks great too, really easy to use. The formatting bar looks like it has the right functionality to be useful. Keynote doesn't look like a big update, but more easily lets you set the display screen, and I've only had a brief look.

All in all it looks like the best office suite I've ever used (though I haven't used Office 2007 yet).

It also imports Open XML (Office 2007) documents, which MS still haven't done for MS Office for Mac nearly 18 months after you could for the Windows version.

I'd have thought so.

17. macrumors member

What dissapoints me even more is the price of memory upgrade ... 4gb of memory costs 850$ (yes, 850$). But well, Macs just are overpriced, I just cannot used to it ....

iWork and iWeb are great on the other hand.

18. macrumors member

Mac mini's have always had a DVD burner option!

19. macrumors G3

puckhead193

the video isn't working for me :(

20. macrumors regular

Every iMac release/update since inception has caused some whining about the power of the graphics card. This isn't an improvement or disappointment: it's par for the course.

The length of time until the update becomes irrelevant once it happens. Does the mini somehow perform worse because of the time it took Apple to update it?

I agree.

Again, the length of time the update took is irrelevant now that it happened.

Obviously, although I don't think there is much to review when it comes to the iMac and Mini... the specs and design speak for themselves. The software obviously needs to be played with before judments can be made. The keyboard can be tested now by deciding whether you like the macbook style keyboards or not.

Stop being a drama queen.

21. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apple, like ALL the other OEMs rips you off on the accessories/RAM, if you don't like the price buy it elsewhere :rolleyes:.

22. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Now all applications that you might want are universal (iWork 08 is so much better than Office its not even funny, and even slowcoach MS will have Office universal in 6 months) this means 1GB RAM is fine on a consumer machine. Sure 2GB will get you better performance (I have 2GB in both my Macs) but 1GB is an adequate minimum.

23. macrumors regular

Maybe I'm missing something...

... but there is no way to actually download or view the presentation on the linked page?

Edit: Um... I figured it out, but it isn't working for me either. (Hint for anyone else who needs help: click the white space just after the end of the description paragraph)

Edit again: Nevermind, unigolyn posted the correct link:

http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/aug/r27842e/m_428396549_220_ref.mov

24. macrumors 6502a

me neither

25. macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

Is the trial available for download or do I need to buy iLife (or a new Mac) to get it?