August Smart Lock Finally Begins Shipping to Customers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 26, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After a long delay, the August Smart Lock is finally shipping out to preorder customers beginning today. First introduced in May of 2013, the August Smart Lock is a Bluetooth-based iPhone-compatible locking system designed by Jason Johnson and notable designer Yves Béhar.

The August Smart Lock, which allows users to unlock their doors with their iPhones, is crafted from anodized aluminum and looks similar to a standard home lock. It comes with several different faceplates and deadbolt adapters to fit the majority of locks on the market, functioning on four AA batteries.

Like competing products from Lockitron and Kevo, the lock can be programmed remotely to let in visitors through an accompanying iPhone app. It's also designed to monitor when guests enter and it can be customized with specific timers.

Initial preorders of the August Smart Lock, which originally had an estimated shipping date of November or December 2013, were available for $199, but the retail price of the lock is now $249.99. The company plans to fulfill orders for the lock over the course of the next few months, with new orders displaying a prospective shipping date of "late October."

Article Link: August Smart Lock Finally Begins Shipping to Customers

2. macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Seems expensive, I definitely don't need this

3. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Finally is right. I'm excited. I preordered on Oct. 3 of last year, so hopefully I'll get the confirmation email soon.

4. macrumors member

Don't really see why this made it onto mac rumors...

5. macrumors regular

The internet of things have arrived. I think this is a huge part of the reason why Apple is making the iWatch.

6. macrumors 6502

iCore24

7. macrumors 68000

Hmm I must of stumbled on an advertisement site..

8. macrumors 65816

Don't need this. Expensive and not really necessary.

I'll skip this and wait for September.

9. macrumors regular

caliguy

It's compatible with Android.

Attached Files:

10. macrumors 6502a

Pakaku

Still technically true if nobody you allow in uses an Android phone;)

11. macrumors regular

ricci

Trust me on this one ! Locks and anything wifi or internet = hacking! Don't trust it!

12. macrumors newbie

HeHeHaha123

But you can lock pick a traditional (Dumb) lock, at least this one tells you when someone unlocks your door.

13. macrumors 6502a

Good thing every person I associate with including my plumber have smartphones?

14. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Wow, this looks way nicer than the Kevo I was going to buy. Will keep my eyes on real world use as a lot of peeps complain about Kwikset smart lock and virtual keys.

Hoping real world use matches their great promo video.

I for one am personally happy MacRumors posted this. Hadn't heard of it until I saw this post.

15. macrumors 65816

This actually made me laugh out loud.

16. macrumors newbie

Don't get too excited. This lock doesn't connect to the internet directly. It uses Bluetooth to talk to your smartphone only.

17. macrumors 68000

rocknblogger

So how can it be programmed remotely and how can it inform you if the lock is opened? I would think it has to have some other kind of connectivity, no?

18. macrumors member

Keep seeing reports on this saying they are not sure or are hoping homekit will be supported. They were in the Center spot on the homekit partners graphic flashed on stage at the keynote!

Can't wait for mine to come, this with homekit/Siri = magic!

Attached Files:

19. macrumors member

I think it's cool, but how many people will actually be trying this? So far this thread contains just one person who pre-ordered it...

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather spend the $200 on the next iPhone, not the door.

I'd rather buy a Nest than an electronic door lock, just in terms of iHome priorities. Then lights. Call me old fashioned, but keys are cheap and I'll take em.

20. macrumors 6502

Dilster3k

Such an interesting concept. Hopefully the next iPhones get NFC.

21. macrumors 65816

Has anyone clicked on the "Order summary" link in their pre-order email (from months ago)? I pre-ordered at the price of $199, yet the link is now showing $249. I'm going to be mighty peeved if they charge an extra $50 to my credit card.

22. macrumors 65816

Heh. OK, maybe I'm the second person here who pre-ordered an august lock. I'm not sure how good of an idea this is, but I would like some automated lock solution that mounts on the inside without changing the outside (the deadbolt outside is fully exposed to the elements and is in direct, hot sunlight).

However, in the meantime, I now have a home automation system with an old, non-trendy wifi thermostat, a controllable keypad deadbolt lock (Schlage), numerous door sensors (including a garage door sensor), a couple of motion sensors, and a few controlled lights. Keys may be cheap, but you can lock yourself out of the home (I've done this twice :eek:), and being able to enter without keys is very nice. (And, no, I don't like hiding keys in the yard.)

23. macrumors 68030

people still locking their doors?

thought we'd got past all this dishonesty and theft stuff

24. macrumors 68020

I'm the third, apparently. And I have a Nest thermostat, Nest smoke detector, Wemo light switch, and Hue lights.

25. macrumors member

I preordered. I have hue and nest protect as well. Was going to get the nest thermostat but after the google-thing I have decided to wait see and possibly get the Lyric.