Austin Apple store this year?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sayhey, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

infoAppleStore is saying that a new Apple retail store is going to open in Austin.

Yes, I know Austin is not the "8th largest metro area in America," but Gary (the "arn" of ifoAppleStore) makes clear on another page he means the 8th largest without a store.

Anyone in the Austin area know of construction on this empty space in Barton Creek Square? Looks like good news for scem0, shadowfax, and a few of our long suffering Texas friends.

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!

I may not live in Austin permanently, but I go to college at The University of Texas at Austin.

I'm not going to be in town until at least the 18th, but I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance, or if anyone else in in Austin, drop by and report back on what you see.

I'd be great if I could get a job there, but I've heard that it's hard to get a job at Apple retail stores because so many people apply, and there are TONS of Mac people in Austin...

This just really made me happy...

3. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Is there anyone who can check the mall within the next week or so? I figured out that I'll be going back to Austin at around the 15th or so...

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Hey, Sayhey (hehe), I know you are good at this. Can you tell me the top 10 metro ares WITHOUT an apple store? I was just curious to see where my city is at.

5. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Sure latergator, ask and ye shall receive.

These are the ten largest metropolitan areas in the US (excluding Puerto Rico) that do not have a Apple store. Those which have one planned will be designated by a *

1 - Pittsburgh, PA
    2 - Kansas City, MO
    3 - San Antonio, TX
    4 - Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA
    5 - Charlotte, NC*
    6 - New Orleans, LA
    7 - Salt Lake City, UT
    8 - Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC
    9 - Austin, TX*
    10 - Nashville, TN

And because you're from Providence here are the next ten.

11 - Providence, RI
    12 - Jacksonville, FL*
    13 - Rochester, NY
    14 - Grand Rapids, MI
    15 - Oklahoma City, OK
    16 - Louisville, KY
    17 - Greenville/Spartanburg, SC
    18 - Dayton/Springfield, OH
    19 - Fresno, CA
    20 - Birmingham, AL

The smallest metro area that currently has a store is Albany, NY, but there is one planned to be opened shortly in the smaller Tucson, AZ area. There are also strong rumors of openings in the even smaller Syracuse, NY and Mobile AL areas sometime late in this year.

Those on the list with the * are of varying certainty. Charlotte is a lock with the Manager position already filled and should open within the next few months. Jacksonville has been reported by local newspapers as opening in March 2005, a fairly reliable source. The Austin store is based on the listing at infoAppleStore only, but so far the stuff from that site has been pretty accurate. There is no opening date or timeframe, but if they are doing construction now it is likely it will open before the end of the year. If any one can go by Barton Creek Mall and get any information I would be very interested.

6. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

7. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You are welcome!

There are of course other stores that are planned for this year. In the US there are stores in metro areas that already have a store or stores. These include my own city of San Francisco, CA; Aventura, FL; Mission Viejo, CA; as well as, it looks like a second NYC store and maybe an Irvine CA store.

Here are some interesting (to me anyway) facts about the distribution of the stores.

There are nine metro areas with a least five million people. All of these areas have at least two stores. Six of these -NYC, LA, Chicago, Washington, SF, and Boston - have or will shortly have at least four stores.

The three remaining 5 mil+ metro areas with only two stores - Philadelphia, Detroit, and Dallas - would seem likely places for new stores.

There are 22 US metro areas with 2 million or more residents. Of these, only Pittsburgh does not have a store. Also, of these, only Houston, Cleveland, St. Louis, Tampa-St. Petersburg, and Portland only have one store (there is already a rumored second Portland Store in Pioneer Place Mall.) Fertile ground for second stores?

Right now, of the 50 largest metro areas in the US (about equivalent to the metro areas with 1 million or more people) 34 have stores and three more have them planned (Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Austin.) I'm looking for that number to hit 40 before the end of the year or 18 months at the latest.

Anyway, just thought I'd share some useless information.

8. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

Couldnt Apple kill two birds with one stone and place an Apple Store in between Austin and San Antonio? Somewhere maybe in San Marcos with all those outlet shops and stuff. Being from SA I long for an Apple Store because CompUSA isn't gonna cut it much longer.

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I thought about that, but something about that idea just doesn't seem to make sense to me... If you've noticed, there are no computer stores in San Marcos...

Be glad with your CompUSA, though. It's better than the one in McAllen.

10. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

good point. yeah i guess 70 miles is a whole lot better than 200 (drive to houston) or the 270 to dallas.

11. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It's official. Apple is now listing jobs on their website for the Barton Creek Square store. Congrats to all you Austin members and to infoAppleStore for its correct call.

12. Nikazu macrumors newbie

MacNN: Links to Apple's Austin Job Postings

Just a heads up: MacNN reported on the Austin job openings with links to postings at the Apple site here and here.

13. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Apple has posted the opening date for the Tucson store at La Encantada Mall as January 24th. This store's opening has been delayed for over 2 months because of construction problems.

La Encantada

14. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Just went by the mall... The place is huge... I know they're opening up the store, but I don't know where. I didn't see any places that looked under construction or anything, although there were a few vacant places, and I didn't go through the whole mall...

if I have more time, I'll look around longer, and snap pictures of what it could be... It's only a 5 minute drive from campus.

15. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think I found it... There are several places under construction, but this place just stood out... They're still taking out the previous store, but it just looks like the right place for an Apple store...

Now, my only question, is if this is going to be the Apple store in Austin, do you think they're going to leave the brick face on the front, or do you think they'll put up their own metal look? I had an argument with my brother about this...

Anyways, I'll go to the mall this weekend, just to check on progress... And I have a $5 coupon...

Oh yeah, the store pictured here is C6, right next to entrance D...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations to all those members that are in the Austin area on your upcoming Apple Store.

Thank you for posting the pictures G4scott, very nice. Looks like it will be in a great spot. It appears that it will be a very large store. Do you know if it will be more than one level?

Thank you Sayhey on the updated information on upcoming Apple Stores. I have wondered if we would have a 4th store here in the Boston area. We have 2 in Boston itself. The first is located on the North Shore. I imagine that if they do have a 4th, it will be located on the South Shore. Depending on it's location, it could also be accessible for the Cape Cod residents.

17. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

G4scott, thanks for the great pictures! If you want to send them over to Gary at infoAppleStore I'm sure he will post them as well. I expected the Austin store to be open by May or June, based on the normal length of time from posting of job opportunities to the actual opening of the doors, but it looks like the work of tearing out the old store has already begun. Perhaps we will see an opening sooner. If you see the start of new construction let us know, G4scott. Thanks again.

wdlove, you are welcome - more than happy to give information on the stores. I'm kinda nuts in trying to keep up what Apple is doing with them. You actually do have a fourth store in the Boston area as the Salem, New Hampshire store is part of the Boston metro area. I agree that a South Shore store makes a lot of sense, but I'm also interested if Apple will try to place a high-profile store (like NYC, LA, Chicago, and SF) in the downtown Boston Area. It would be in keeping with the support Apple has in that area, but I don't know if there is a suitable site. Any ideas?

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sayhey. I had forgot about the Salem store. Since it is in New Hampshire, didn't consider it part of our metro area.

I too would like to see a large store in the Boston area. Those single use stores look so awesome. Such as the Soho Store in NYC and Tokyo, Japan. The store has multi levels. A nice theater withe movie style seats. One of those here is my dream. They might be able to find the needed available land on the South Shore. I suppose that they would need to do a marketing analysis.

19. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

They do look great. I'm waiting - very impatiently - for the San Francisco store to open in a month or so. It makes a lot of sense for Apple to open such stores in Boston, Philly, and Washington. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for any sign of such a development and post it if I find anything. This year all I hear rumors about concerning high profile stores are foreign cities and midtown Manhattan.

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I will look forward to any information that you find on new Apple Stores. Especially in my area. A new bigger store would be awesome, Thank you! ;)

21. ssnmx macrumors member

Oh my God!!

An Apple store in Austin!!!! SO GREAT! I'll have a place to go and hang around at the usually boring mall! That's so cool... you know, last year I was wondering why theyt didn't do it and now I find out they ARE doing it.

Wow, I'm so excited... They closest to an Apple store is the store in the University, but they don't have many things, although they seem to like Apple, because they have tons of posters from the "think different" campaign.

Let me know if you out anything new, please!
    So exciting, hehe...

22. STITCHES macrumors member

Hey, I'm #3, where's our Apple store? :mad: :( But, hey Austin is still pretty close. I'd drive up there just to go inside the store. Finally a store in my(general) area. :D

23. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

infoAppleStore is posting an update of the location in the Barton Creek Mall (Austin.)

24. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Ok, so my pictures were a bit off... It seems as if Apple has evaded me...

I did get more pictures of the mall though, so let me see if I Got a picture of that space. If not, I'll try to stop by this weekend...

Although that place under construction does now have plastic in the windows, and seems pretty secretive...

Here's a map of the upper floor

[​IMG]

25. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Hey, G4scott it looked like a pretty good bet to me! The important point is it is coming to Austin. If you do get pictures of the space infoAppleStore is talking about, it would be great to see (or read about) how far along it looks to being open.

edit: just read an AppleInsider report that there maybe a second Apple store in San Francisco soon! That would make me happy!