Australia: Apple retailers/stores and deals?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wiseguy27, Dec 15, 2006.

1. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Hello all,
    I advised someone who's currently in Australia to have a look at the iMac or Mac Book or MacBook Pro (instead of Windows PCs) - he lives in Melbourne and is looking to buy a computer very soon. Could people here from (or those who have been) around Melbourne or Sydney please let me know which stores are the best places to buy these from? I got the list of retailers from Apple's website, but I'm looking for the best deals (although I do know Apple usually doesn't let retailers reduce prices a lot).

Any information about getting the best deals and about the best stores would be of great help!!! I understand that the Boxing Day sale (26th Dec) is perhaps the biggest in AU, but do Apple products also get (heavily) discounted then for a day? If so, where?

Thanks in advance for all your inputs!!!

2. wiseguy27 thread starter macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Ordering from the US and Australian Customs

Not sure if people in Australia missed seeing my first post over the weekend - I have a couple of questions related to this topic. Has anyone in Australia bought things over the Internet from the US (since it's generally cheaper in the US) and got it delivered in Australia? If so, please let me know which retailers in the US accept an Australian credit card (and ship to Australia).

I also read on the Australian customs website that good whose value is AUD1000 or lesser could be imported duty free and those above that amount are charged at 5% duty and 10% GST. Has anyone tried this and can provide any feedback on any hassles associated with this?

Thanks! :)