Australia Day

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kretzy, Jan 25, 2006.

1. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I don't know what the other Aussies here on MR think, but I just never feel that there is anything special about Australia Day (for those in other parts of the world, today (26th of Jan) is a public holiday for us here).

For me the best thing is, I can go to work and earn $30 per hour. :p

I must say however, I am pleased that the Australian of the Year is not a sportsman or entertainer of any kind. The winner was Professor Ian Frazer from Queensland for his work in developing a vaccine for cervical cancer.

What does everyone else think about Australia Day?

2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

well I live in Banff and sometimes I'll find myself out at the pub and I'll realize I'm the only canadian at my table...or the ones on either side of us. I'm starting to think Banff may have been sold to Australia.

Either way I'm excited for it :)

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I love it! I just got back from a BBQ in the park with some friends. It's damn hot (as usual) and there's nothing quite like traditional Aussie dress and cuisine (singlet, footy shorts, burnt sausages and beer) followed up by a float in the pool (far too bloated to actually swim). :p

Happy Australia Day!

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A public holiday on a Thursday? I'd rather have a long weekend... and I'm getting one! Monday is a holiday in this part of the country :D

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's awesome! It's completely wrecked my week which means I actually have an excuse for not getting anything done!

Happy New Zealand Day Nermal. *Assumes New Zealand has blatantly copied our national holidays too...*

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

i'm piseed sunburnt to al bugry abd aootou to go get more pised.

happy ausatrlia day.

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Hope everyone has a wonderful Australia Day. There's some sort of drinking going on for the celebration in the bars here in the city.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm shocked. Honestly... shocked. :p

Seriously, we have various local holidays throughout the year (I'm sure you have state holidays over there, this is essentially the same thing).

9. Ozoger macrumors newbie

Ozoger

Oh, is it Australia day?

Here in Spain there are so many public holidays that its hard to remember the ones back home too. Bit colder here than sydney I suppose... I only remembered thanks to the eurosport Aussie Open coverage ... "... and its a great Australia Day here today..."

my french girlfriend didn't remind me either! :)

10. inlimbo macrumors 6502

I was in the city (Sydney) today and I have never seen so many people wearing Aussie flags and hats and stick-on tatoos. Really weird...

I was on the train and overhead an American couple talking (I could tell because of their accents). Then when they left the train I could see that they had Australian flags on their backpacks :confused: Maybe they were new Australian citizens. That or nationalism is contagious.

You could have mistaken it for Australia's version of the American's Independence Day. Australian's are not normally very patriotic (unless of course its about sport) but that seems to be changing...

11. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Ha ha!!! These two sentances epitomise what it is to be Australia :D Love your work Chundles! Though I think it should be changed to 'a-stray-ya day'. No-one pronounces the 'au' especially when you have been on the piss.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How did you know they weren't Canadian? :confused:

That's because it is. :p

You're just glad people don't call you New Zealanders.

13. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Too true. My apologies. I know Canadians hate been compared to Americans. But it did sound like a Californian-type accent.

14. inlimbo macrumors 6502

I don't think the Aborigines see it that way...

[EDIT: Sorry don;t wanna put a downer on this thread by making it politcal.]

15. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Totally agree. I mean I love Steve Waugh (Aussie cricket player) and Pat Rafter (Aussie tennis player) but those doctors and scientist are the ones doing the real 'alturistic' work. Funny though that the Australian of the year has a Scottish accent. :) This cervical cancer thing is amazing. Apparently it has a 100% success rate! Im not a chick so it doesn't affect me but it sounds like its going to change the world (including the developing world).

Was Justice Michael Kirby also among nominees? I thought he already had an Australian of the year award?

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The Pub SUCKED!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ended up just watching the cricket at a mates place so I am now sober again and my headache is gone :)D ). I am burnt to a crisp though, it's my first summer in a few years and I managed to sweat off my sunscreen in about 5 minutes. Soooo red, I look like a Pommy on Bondi Beach.

There were a lot of people wearing flags and stuff today but it's a different kind of patriotism, we wear our flag as a cape whilst running around with a beer and getting meat pie and stuff all over it, it gets grubby when you sit on it but it's great for cleaning sweat grime off your face.

Very tired and hot now, gonna go to bed soon once Mad Max 2 has finished and lather myself in Canadian "Mountain Strength" moisturising cream.

So a good day in the end, the pub was a bit of a downer but I guess that's what happens when you spend too long in a uni town - everyone eventually graduates and leaves, not many of my era left.

17. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

I think I need an injection of patriotism. :eek:

Though I've just been out on the waterfront here in Geelong to see the fireworks (yeah i know they're a day late, but someone decided to put them on a friday night :rolleyes: ) and they were really nice. The weather is great and there were tons of people out. Lots of fun!

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Get a big black dog up ya!!!

How's that for nationalism.

19. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I'm a big fan of Australia Day!

Did seem slightly weird having to go back to work today though!

As for my Australia Day - I took a couple of people to the War Memorial (one is an Aussie that has been living in Canada for 5 yrs)... then we did the BBQ thing. Great day, very pleasant evening.

I also was impressed to see a non sportmans / entertainer as Aust of the Year. Good to show how diverse and clever 'we' Australians are!

20. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

nah......
    someone once said, "nationalism is the last bastion of the scoundrel".