Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
The much anticipated Ashes warm up/preview/doesn't-mean-anything match starts in a little over one hour.

Both sides say this has no bearing on the Ashes but we all know this just belies their nervousness at what may happen. Like it or not this is the psychological start to the Ashes.

Flintoff is bravely coming in at number 3 again and what happens with his wicket will be big. Harmison did a bit of harm to himself last match and a mauling here could do irreparable damage so I'm sure the Aussies will go after him but the tactic could backfire badly if he does well.

It will be a cagey cat and mouse game and there's no telling what will happen. A win for England will be huge. Conversely a mauling by Australia will be equally big.

The pitch is unpredictable the dew factor is unknown. And the Diwali hydrogen bombs will be going off when the lights go down.

Will we be seeing Mitchell Johnson, who had a gypy tummy yesterday or will that be an excuse to save him as a surprise for the main game in November.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
England started cautiously and Strauss and Bell got off to a fine start with Glen Mcgrath looking a bit subdued.

Flintoff pulled a surprise by putting Piertersen in third but that didn't make much difference as he was out next over and Fred was in.

Freddy played very warily and lasted a while but only made 4 runs in 15 balls and that won't please him at all after the good start. The momentum is slowly turning.

It's the new boy Yardy in.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
England all out for 169

Strauss 56 (90)
Bell 43 (60)
Collingwood 22 (38) not out

Lee 9 3 25 0
Bracken 8 0 38 1
McGrath 9 0 36 2
Johnson 10 0 40 3
Watson 7 0 16 3
Symonds 2 0 11 1

Tell you what, Brett Lee must've bowled well to only have gone for 25 runs from 9 overs. Mitchell Johnson is finally performing too. Glad to see McGrath amongst the wickets.

Now lets see how our batting line up go, I've maintained for years that we are a very weak batting side when it comes to the punch. Massively capable on paper but if something small goes wrong it snowballs into something very big very quickly.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Yes, their plan has gone well with regards to Fred and Kev, it is important that their batting holds up. We'll be wanting Punter to hang around a while. Mind, the wicket seems to be holding up well.

I really thought England were going to post a big total the way they started. England could have made a big mistake Putting Fred in the captain's chair, just because they got a result in India. What has Strauss done wrong.

I guess Australia would like to have this over in by the 30th wicket.

Yes some tidy bowling and Mcgrath was badly dropped as well. Great to see Mitchell do well.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
dogbone said:
Whoops 42 for 3. I think I can hear that nasty choking sound.

Oh F*** not again. Hasn't anybody told the Aussies that one day games are important too?

How much did Punter get? My internet connection is sloooooowwww right now and the "live" score is very much not live.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
er... 1 for the Punts.

But the Doctor is going like the clappers and Mr Cricket is in and the RRR is less than 3. We need a big steady partnership her and Martyn will be playing for his place in the squad, so I guess we shouldn't panic yet.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
dogbone said:
er... 1 for the Punts.

But the Doctor is going like the clappers and Mr Cricket is in and the RRR is less than 3. We need a big steady partnership her and Martyn will be playing for his place in the squad, so I guess we shouldn't panic yet.

Mr Cricket - what a player. Go Straya!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.