Australia, Guns etc... Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sol, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Actually I do have broadband but I cannot say the same about the majority of my fellow countrymen. I was not complaining about living in Australia - better here than in gun-crazy, enviromentally pollutting, we-are-civilised-but-still-execute-prisoners America. Sherlock and iPhoto should work the same in whatever country one is using them.

2. Groovsonic macrumors regular

Re: Broadband here too

Oh My gosh!!!!

I couldn't possibly leave that alone. I know I should leave politics out of this, but that was just inflamitory and rude.

Do you own a car, or use air conditioning, or ride in airplanes, or buy stuff that gets transported by boat, plane, truck,or train? I know you use electronics, because you are on a computer. Do you ever ride in a bus? Do you eat at fast food restaurants? The point is that if you do any of those things, you are polluting. You cannot blame america for polluting the world. We do our share of it, but we have much tighter enviromental restrictions than most countries. It would make sense that we have more cars, becuase we have more roads and more people that can afford one (or 3)!

As for the crack about being gun crazy, I have to ask, where do you get that from? I don't own a gun, but it is my right. Do you really think we all walk around with guns shooting? Most parts of most places in America are safe, but if I lived in a high crime area, you can bet your behind that I would have a gun. Should I be defenseless against robbers and thugs? Most people here don't own a gun anyway, but we do have the constitutional right to own one if we wanted.

We excexute murderers and serial rapists. That is true. Do you think that I, as an american taxpayer should be forced to pay for the food and housing for evil bastards? Do you think they deserve to live? Do you really not want closure for the families of their victims? Where is the line drawn, anyway? If we had caught hitler, should we have put him in a nice jail for the rest of his life? Besides, the number of people relieved of their right to live in the USA is greatly overblown. In the state where I live, the govenor just gave blanket amnesty for everyone on death row, and freed four of them! Don't make blanket statements that are fundementally flawed!!!

That said, I really want an ipod!

3. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Funny, I just saw your reply. Since I don't feel like looking for the original guy's post, I'll simply post here.

I agree. Why should my tax money go to feed and shelter these criminals? If you wish not for them to die, perhaps we should create a penal colony, you know, like AUSTRALIA. Yeah, that's it...

4. NatronB macrumors regular

Re: Re: Broadband here too

First off, capital punishment is dolled out only for murderers.

Second, it costs far more to execute a criminal (the appeals process is costly) than it does to house and feed "evil bastards." Given that the US has executed a fair amount (one is too many) of innocent people (cleared through DNA evidence) getting rid of the appeals process is unthinkable.

Closure often looks a lot more like vengeance and is not something we should strive for in this country.

With that said, our Aussie friends have stepped out of line with broad generalizations and blanket statements. This country has been in a prolonged conservative funk for the past 20 years. Much of the western world has remained left of center.

In spite of recent transgressions, no other country in the history of the world has done more to further democracy, human rights and world peace than the United States of America.

If the new top-of-the-line iMac comes with a GeForce 4mx, I'm gonna scream.

-Nate

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Could not agree more! also just saw this post 1 more thing New York City has outlawed guns so where do you think is one of the highest places for crimes in our nation, thats right good ol new york city Hey if iam a rapist, murderer or robber its sure good to know that i can go about my business and not worry about some law abiding citizen shooting me! Stupid liberal law makers!

6. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Yup. Look at your history. When an area outlaws guns, the crime rate does NOT decrease. Think I'm wrong? Like I said, study your history.

Am I an NRA member? Yup. Do I think they have an agenda to push? Absofreakinlutely. So I take everything they say with a grain of salt. But this history stuff I'm referring to...it's well documented outside of the biased halls of the NRA.

Wait..weren't we talkin' about Macs?

Huh.

7. The Sheck macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Broadband here too

I have green shoes. The sun is shining. Therefore, green shoes make the sun shine.

Like your statement, correlation does not prove causation.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Another liberal Laws and paperwork will solve everything! I wonder how many liberals Saddam has gotten rid of???:D

9. marcsiry macrumors member

internal divisions

Hey fellas- to the "bad guys," the UK, US, and Oz are all the same.

In fact, it's an emerging pattern that when something messy needs doing, it's the UK-US-OZ "Axis of Asskickers" that get it done, while the rest of Europe contributes a minesweeper and a bus to carry refugees.

Fighting amongst ourselves is as silly as arguing over your 15" iMac vs. my 15" PowerBook. Let's focus on our similarities, rather than our differences, shall we? It's a hostile enough world out there as it is (for both us English speakers and us Mac users).

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Re: internal divisions

So SO true and with that the next pint is on me!;) :eek: :D

11. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

OFFTOPIC:

Regarding prison; it is more than $40,000US per year to "house" a prisoner.

Most countries in the world no longer have the death penalty.

There is a difference between "human rights" and "civil liberties."

ON-TOPIC:

I can't wait for the new iBook, whenever that may come. My g/f just got the 800MHz combo 12" all maxed out, and it is not impressive at all :( She complains that it is not any faster than my ThinkPad (500MHz) running WindowMaker on Mandrake 9. I doubt this is the case... but an interesting comment from someone who knows next to nothing about Mac/Linux (she is a switcher...).

12. Sonofhaig macrumors regular

Whatever...

Hey, I'm pretty new to this forum, and I have to tell ya.....
    You guys are a little weird. Going back and forth on an out of context comment that somebody made...
    Ignore it. Let's move on to the subject we all care about.
    I mean really.......;)

13. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

"Can't we all just...."

----I can't do it. Just can't say it. Wouldn't be prudent.

14. andrewb_nyc macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Broadband here too

For your information, the most recent FBI report on crime nationwide ranked New York City's serious crime rate 197th of the 216 U.S. cities with a population of at least 100,000. That is, New York City has one of the lowest crime rates in the nation.

Not that I am implying any correlation between the crime rate and gun control laws. However, your statements would be more persuasive if they were based on facts rather than assumptions, and were constructed in complete grammatically correct sentences.

15. Sonofhaig macrumors regular

The truth shall......

LA has the worst crime rate, and can we discuss imacs again....please!

16. york2600 macrumors regular

America does not do it's share of polluting the world. We do over our share. We consume much much more than our European counterparts, more than Asian counterparts not to even mention 3rd world countries because that's not a fair comparison. People in Europe can afford cars (gas is another story), but they have a VERY NICE public transportation. I own a car in California and I pay $1.80 for gas. I would much rather take public transportation if it so wasn't horrible around here. BART is nice, but it doesn't go to San Jose right now. 20 years from now it will be a different story, but that's 20 years too late.
    Technically we don't. The states have a right to have an armed militia, but that's a whole different debate that takes way to long to even start.
    I do support the death penalty (if they are guilty which they aren't all too often), but your wrong to say we should pay to house them. It costs significantly more to execute them.

17. Hawthorne macrumors regular

Move along, people, nothing to see here, movee along...

There are plenty of other forums on this and other sites to take the Pro-US/guns/death penalty vs. Anti-all-of-that discussions. Please feel free to take advantage of them. Really. I insist. This thread, IIRC, was to ruminate on new iMacs.

And besides, you're all wrong. Canada is superior to Australia AND the U.S. :D

18. iTry macrumors newbie

Anyone got any ideas what sort of bag I could put my (not quite bought yet!) iMac in while transporting it? I'm likely to have to take it from my university housing back to my parents' every so often and I'd like to have something to protect it and avoid some little scrote seeing what it is and mugging me!

Carry handles would be good, and something that would flat pack when i don't need it. Any ideas anyone???

I know it's off topic, but let's just say it's closer then some posts...

:rolleyes:

19. nickmcghie macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Broadband here too

Regarding complete and grammatically correct sentences, your last sentence contains incorrect comma usage. :p ;)

20. nickmcghie macrumors regular

Re: Move along, people, nothing to see here, movee along...

uhhh... canada is practically part of the U.S. :D :D :D

and asia is superior to all of the above :)

21. andrewb_nyc macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Broadband here too

I knew I'd get in trouble for saying that. :)