Australia vs America: Differences?

Discussion in 'Community' started by macka, Mar 20, 2004.

1. macka macrumors regular

Well for one thing,

What we call petrol, you call gas.
    shopping centres vs malls
    bumbag vs fanny pack? :D

Of course there are also the spelling variations (eg. honour vs honor).
    Can anybody think of anything else?

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Spam in America is referred to as Spam in Australia

The difference is in America, Spam is sold by the american dollar. :p

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Americans drive on the wrong side of the car and the wrong side of the road.

Football is definitely different.

Americans don't put road tar into jars and then, spread it onto bread. (Vegimite)

Pinching is much different and so is nicking.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

America has summer in the summer and Australia has summer in the winter. Or something like that.

5. macka thread starter macrumors regular

Road tar?? Lol. It's actually quite nice, if you don't mind strong stuff ;) :)

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It has to be strong with all those vitamins. :D

Tell me there isn't someone in the middle of nowhere who hasn't fixed a leaking roof or a tyre with a hole in it using Vegimite.

7. macka thread starter macrumors regular

Well!
    I have no idea what happens to vegemite once it reaches the US! It must get all thick and yucky for you to think of it like that... ;) :D
    Vegemite is great! I'm sure any other Aussie would agree.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Actually, I've never seen it here, hence my broken spelling. The Aussies I've known in the past told me about its positive characteristics. :D

The food and drug administration may stop it--or is it the department of transportation.

There is another difference--Australia has ministers and ministries and the U.S.A. has secretaries and departments.

9. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Our toilets flush the other way.

No marsupials here.

We're not as close in dialect, culture, and emotional attachment to our common mother country, Great Britain.

We don't get Neighbours :(

10. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Something in common: New Zealand is Australia-lite. Canada is America-lite.

(This post is purely for amusement purposes. No offense, real or implied, is meant to our fine Kiwi and Canuck friends. ;) )

11. macka thread starter macrumors regular

Neighbours? Lol, nobody EVER watches it here in Australia. It's only famous in England.

And we have ministers and cabinets. I think ministries only exist in harry potter. ;)

Other things:
    Schooling?
    elementary vs primary

middle/high school vs high school
    Over here, once you reach Year 7, it's considered high school....don't think it works like that in America.

Why on earth separate em in the first place..? ;) :p

12. Apple //e macrumors 6502

apparently, both nations think "america" refers to the united states of america. it is actually the name of a continental land mass. ever hear of north, central and south america?

13. Apple //e macrumors 6502

tell that to the south americans......at least those south of the equator

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Schools go different way depending on the district:

1) Elementary/grade school (K-6), Junior High (7-9), and High School (10-12)

2) Elementary/grade school (K-5), Middle School (6-8), and High School (9-12)

although in some areas, Kindergarten is still optional.

Public school refers to a school where anyone can go. A school where you pay to go is considered a private school. I know this is certainly different than England where you pay to go to public school.

Apple //e:

It's not just the U.S.A. and Australia who call the U.S.A. America--Japan does it too although they also have an official name--Bei koku (rice country). Funny that the Japanese official name doesn't agree with the Chinese official name, which means beautiful country. :D

15. Apple //e macrumors 6502

just because many countries refer to the USA as "america" doesnt make it right.

all germans are europeans but not all europeans are germans

and before anyone whips out the dictionary, popular vernacular usage put "america" as USA, regardless of proper usage

16. Apple //e macrumors 6502

17. zamyatin macrumors regular

Having heard this sentiment many times, I am always forced to wonder, "why the vitriol?" Clearly, the word America could have multiple meanings; many words and even place names do. For example, New York County is part of New York City which is part of New York State. You can say "New York" and refer to any of the three.

But in the case of the word America, I believe you are mistaken. There are two continents, North America and South America. Collectively, they are referred to as "the Americas." The United States of America, on the other hand, is the only common use of the term "America." Theoretically, it could have been called "The United States of North America" or "The United States of the Americas," but it was not, for whatever reasons.

Each country has the right to choose its own name, after all, even if others object. (Some Greeks, for example, are furious that a neighboring country has called itself Macedonia, because that's the name of one of the Greek provinces. The People's Republic of China and the Republic of China (often called Taiwan) claim to be the legitimate government and rightful rulers of each other's territory, etc, etc.)

In my personal use, I have frequently called people "North Americans" or "South Americans" to include all the countries of each continent (Central America is a part of North America, by accepted geographic standards). Perhaps the term "Continental Americans" or something similar could be devised for the meaning you intend? It's an interesting problem you raise, but I feel the approach of trying to strip the people of the USA of their chosen name for themselves is not the answer.

18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Apple //e --

Your wrong.

The U.S.A controls Mexico and Canada, I mean not "offically" or anything... but they are States #52 and #53.

American differences...
    Americans say 'mate' and mean person you sleep with...
    Austrians say it and mean friend... whoops.

;)

Also 'fag' but that is in the U.K too soo...

If you ever saw the show "Clerks" they have a scene were a British person walks up to the american store clerk and asks for a pack of fags.
    'I'm not a Fag'
    'Nono Its a cigarette mate! '
    'I'm not your mate fag!'
    :beats down customer:

:p

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

What does "America" mean to Australians, macka?

20. Apple //e macrumors 6502

i agree for the most part of what you are saying, and you raise some valid points. you are correct, central america is not an official continent

however, you will not find one person south of texas refer to the united states as "america". the word "american" to these people refers to everyone of this new world.

its kind of like the word "columbia" that is in use from gnome to tierra del fuego. it owes it heritage to cristobal colon, aka chris columbus. all american nations have many regions and institutions named after it (british columbia, district of columbia, colombia, columbia university, etc)

the united states of america has not chosen the word "america" for themselves. they have chosen "united states of america.

21. Apple //e macrumors 6502

i agree with you that the usa is economically and politically dominant in north america, but that is completely irrelevent regarding the term "america"

explain to me how i am wrong in this matter

22. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I actually run Mexico, but no one knows it. :)

23. macka thread starter macrumors regular

Basically, to us Aussies, when we say "America" we mean the USA. I mean, when we meet people who come from USA, this is how it goes:
    The Australians say, "Oh hey! you're from America! awesome!"
    The Americans say "Yeah, we're from America"

They never retort with, "No, we're from the United States of America."
    I mean, just as I say "I'm Australian", do you not say "I'm American" ?

And yeah, its' true. When we say "mate" we refer to friends, not erm...the person you mate with. I had a good laugh at that, MrMacman. :D

Sorry people, I should have made the thread "Australia vs UNITED STATES OF America"

Other notable things:
    - The Americans I do know who have migrated to Australia, really don't want to lose their accents for some reason, they're very proud of it. :)
    - Mac users here are vilified and discriminated against in the most unfortunate ways...don't know if it's like that over in USA.

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Why are we bringing Austrians into this?

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Other differences:

Car: Boot vs Trunk
    Bonnet vs Hood

Paper money instead of the plastic stuff.

Americans think NZ's an Australian state.
    Australians wish that NZ was an Australian state :rolleyes:
    OK, I made that up but it might be true :(

Oh and courtesy of the thread "Bringing My PB Onto The Airplane" that I just saw - airplane vs aeroplane.