Australian consumers should boycott iPods!

Discussion in 'Community' started by deanbo, Jan 12, 2005.

1. deanbo macrumors regular

May 6, 2003
    In all seriousness, I think consumers should boycott iPod's. Why? Half the reason iTMS was created was to encourage users to buy iPods.

In Australia (and NZ) we are, I believe, significantly helping Apple's bottom line with our iPod purchases.

Yet we have no iTMS to go with it.

Why should we be treated like second class citizens? Especially after the number of iPods sold in our countries. Hell our numbers may not be millions, but I still bet it represents a fair chunk of change to Apple.

I also believe that if Apple really wanted to, it could have had iTMS Australia up and running by now. But I suspect that negotiations with Australian record companies began long after that of the good ol' US and Europe.

So hold off on your iPod purchases and don't let Apple treat Australia (and NZ) as second class!
  2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    errr its not apples fault they have diff laws to work around.
  3. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Agreed. Unless we know the full story, let's not be quick to boycott one or the other.
  4. NZDave macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA, Yeah!
    I had an iPod before the music store came out. There's no reason to boycott the best damn thing in the digital music player arena just because the ITMS is not available to you. Over here you can only get petrol up to 92 octane, it's 98 in New Zealand and most other countries, but no one boycotts cars that arent from America that should use 98 octane just because it's not available here. You can get music elsewhere, and maybe ITMS will be available soon for you. So not having it is no reason to not get the best in mp3 players.
  5. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    The Australian laws (copyright) are very different to the laws in Europe and the USA. We WILL get ITMS here, but it won't be until our 30 year old laws are changed, or John Howard gets an iPod (which he won't). There are many good reasons to use an iPod (like it is better than the other competition, or because it is made by Apple. The AUITMS will happen within the next few years (will we see it before Longhorn?). Just don't hold your breath.
  6. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Well if everyone stopped buying iPods in Oz, then where's Apples incentive for releasing iTMS Oz at all??? ;)
  7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    some pretty loose logice there, buddy... i agree with iGav :rolleyes:
  8. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    you can forego your ipod, but i got mine before i had access to an itunes music store, so i dont see a real issue. its silly to not get a great product just because a feature which works with it isnt available.
  9. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    iGav has it dead on. If Au stops showing interest in the iPod, where's the incentive to launch the iTMS there?

On a side note, I've had an iPod for about 7 months, and the only thing I've ever gotten from the iTMS is the U2 boxed set (which I got when we gave our daughter the U2 iPod for Christmas). The iPod can go hand in hand with the iTMS, but it also stands alone as the best portable music player on the planet.

don't buy one...your loss not mine.
  10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    I love iTunes, love the optical link to my stero via APexp, I have only bought 2 albums from iTMS. The entire package would be sweeter for me with an iPod, but it is still great using the parts I am using. Personnally I still like buying the CD and loading it in, and then having it on the shelf, talk about a great BU! Plus you can bring it in at higher quality.

I wish the battery situation was better so I could justify buying one though.

iGav is right, why put an AUiTMS up when there aren't many iPoders to use it.
  11. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    i think the idea is that the iTMS is not there to make current iPod owners happy, it is there to get more people to buy iPods. that, of course, is why it would not need to be as large of a priority to get one in australia when lots of people are already buying, and might become a priority as sales drop off.

not that i agree with the original poster. i think that apple would like to release stores in as many places as possible, if for no reason other than keeping their name out there. this is most certainly a case of difficult negotiations.
  12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Does anyone seriously believe that Apple doesn't want to sell products to Australia and New Zealand?

As soon as they can work out the agreements, they will. I can imagine that anywhere people buy music on CD, they would want to have a presence. I can't imagine the effort they've put forth already. It must be huge. How do you convince a bunch of old men to give up their tried-and-true monopoly, that there is something better on the horizon?
  13. atif.muhammad macrumors member

Oct 26, 2004
    none of your business
    at the end of the day, you lot are australians. who cares abt you?